electrical short - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

electrical short

I've got a fuse that keeps blowing in the wifes burb(I know it's a mixed marriage).How can I check this with a voltmeter or a test light.Seems like i read somewhere you can hook up a test light and turn off the accesories on the fuse circuit one by one and see which one kills the test light.Anybody know?

Thanks,
Billy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 06:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: electrical short

turn off all the accessories on that fuse, then one by one turn them on and check the fuse every time you do. if its blown then you know the problem is in the circuit you just turned on. if you don't want to pull those PITA blade fuses, you could get the inline fuse holder at walmart (it's yellow) and wire it in the socket instead of the fuse (make sure you get a good connection). then you can hold it in your hand and watch to see if it blows. seems good as any method to me

actually i know how you could use a test light. when the fuse isn't blown there is no potential between the blades of the fuse, so you could stick the probes on the two areas of exposed metal on the back of the fuse. it is technically shorted out so there should be no voltage (not lit). when the offending circuit is activated, the fuse will then blow and you will now have 12 volts across your light, so it'll light up. much easier than the other way if you already have a test light! (i always find too much stuff to buy at walmart anyway, so the second method will save you some mone )

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode