Radiator Hoses - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 12:26 PM
broncoman

Radiator Hoses

Wondering what is the life expectancy out of radiator hoses. My trucks if getting on to seven years old with about 100 000km (63000mi) and have noticed a leak on the main hose going from the radiator to the water pump suction. Part of the hose feels weak and easily compressable. Looks like I have to drain everything to change it. There also was lines with an overlapping tee conn. from this hose to the oil cooler which Im not sure is part of this hose or a separate part. Should i just change everything or just worry about the hoses that are looking weak. Some of these main hoses dont look too cheap!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 04:57 PM
Veteran

Re: Radiator Hoses

Its not so much the mileage, its the age.condition of coolant also plays a part. Dont by Cheap hoses youll be sorry,(discount auto parts,autozone,etc.)get GATES or DAYCO if you can. they are electrically rated cause its static electricity that passes through the hoses that cause them to deteriorate faster(Steve can probably explain it better). Look for ECR printed on the hose along with a lightning bolt on the Gates anyways.I had some cheap heater hose go bad in 6 months! The radiator hoses on my wifes 93 mazda were shot at 40K but they were also 7 years old.

Water over Oil Cooler on a stock bronc? Not familiar with that...Hmmm
BTW, unless your really hauling something heavy, why would you need a oil cooler in canada?

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-22-2001, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Broncomania got it right. Don't go cheap on the hoses. Go in and change them all out with quality hoses. If it feels weak, change them all. Otherwise you are borrowing trouble.If I sound like someone who let it go too long, I am. I got lucky and didn't lose my engine or tranny.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 01:58 AM
Mud in my Veins

Ummmmm... Maybe "galvanic action"??? I've never heard of vulcanized rubber breaking down because of static or galvanic electricity, but I haven't researched it. The hoses are so cheap compared to the overall cost of maintenance that I don't worry about why they go bad - I just replace them when I notice any problem. If you've read/heard/learned that it's related to electricity: OK.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I always figured the decay of the rubber was related to heat/oils/salts attacking from the outside or water deposits/corrosion/old antifreeze from the inside, but like I said: I don't know. In any case, I'd err on the side of caution & spend the $50 for all new hoses & antifreeze every few years and not have to worry about it. Old coolant does a lot more damage than many people think - not only to hoses & their nipples, but also to radiators & caps, heater cores, water pump bearings, gaskets, thermostats, blocks, & heads. Dump the old crap and put in some new stuff.

[email protected]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 09:12 AM
Veteran

Electrochemical degrading is what i meant,check out <font color=green>GATES</font color=green>.The 4th paragraph...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 11:55 AM
broncoman

Haha, its not always cold up here! In the summer some parts of the country gets up to 35-40C (over 100F in imperial units). Think the oil cooler was standard from the factory with the towing package. Priced one hose from the dealer and he wanted $50 ($30US) for just the one hose from the rad. to the water pump. Not much of a demand for them I guess cause he said he may have to get it out of the US. Ill have to phone around and see what those other brands mentioned cost.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 06:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

never heard of it, sounds interesting. i don't know how electricity kills a rad hose but who knows. here's something interesting and potentially REALLY good news for humanity: one of my professors knows some research profs at Oxford and apparently they are VERY close to producing electricity via nuclear fusion, which apparently does not have the biproducts that fission does. so without a waste product to worry about, i guess this theoretically is an endless supply of power, WOOHOO! maybe we can say goodbye to the middle east for good

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 07:43 PM

Geezely wouldn't that be nice !

Knowing every dollar you pumped into your tank was actually helping someone OVER HERE, keeping THEM employed and putting dinner on THEIR table, instead of assisting someone who resents your very existance. I'd be one happy infidel !

Broncoman

You can add the "-S" suffix to the end of whatever Gates hose number you want and weeks later, for three times the cost, a hose made of silicone will show up at your jobber's counter. It will be the last hose you ever buy for that application.

The water pump to intake manifold bypass hose on my smallblock Mopars were always blowing and always at the most inopportune times too. I put one of these on years ago and had it off this March when I was swapping intakes and it was still like new inside and out.

As for the Bronco I give it the cheapest hoses money can buy and replace them every 4-5 years.

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode