4WD doesn't work!! Ideas?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:48 PM
Carey

4WD doesn\'t work!! Ideas??

I have a 95 Bronco that has the pushbutton 4WD and automatic hubs. Had a little problem this week. This is my wifes daily driver. She was parking on the side of the road this week and got too close to the ditch and slid off in it. With the automatic hubs, they would not lock and ended up sliding all the way into the ditch. It took me thirty minutes to winch that heavy thing out of the ditch. Then after I got it out and pushed all the right buttons in neutral, etc. to put it back in 2WD. She called me again after I had returned to work, the transfer case had stuck in 4 low. So I have looked at how to fix this problem. I have really 2 questions.

1) What would make the t-case stick in low range and how do I fix that problem to keep this from happening again? Is it something with the solenoids or is it mechanical? This is the most important. Sorry guys but I am just not that familiar with the B-W t-case's

2) According to the catalogs I can swap over to manual hubs, no big deal, but I have to change the spindle nut to do this. I am questioning this because the 95 model actually has a different style spindle nut that earlier models. It has a specific hub socket that is not the same as on my other Dana 44 front and also different from the other common D44 front hub socket. Do I really have to spend $35 (Warns conversion kit) for spindle nuts just to put in a set of manual hubs?

Carey Smith
71 (C101)Jeepster Commando
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Middle Tennessee Trail Runners
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 08:27 PM
Veteran

Re: 4WD doesn\'t work!! Ideas??

On the manual Hubs, check out<font color=blue>SUPERWINCH</font color=blue>. Theirs fit all 44s to 96.You just change the location of the snap ring for different styles. I have them and i like em but use anti-sieze on the bolts or they will freeze up next time you need to pull them off.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
Sorry dont know about all that automatic crap,my 86 is all manual.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 09:05 PM
Carey

Ahh, but reread the footnotes. Superwinch also says the spindle nuts must be changed.

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 09:13 PM
Veteran

Sorry, didnt see that part, i was just going over the instructions that came with mine and they dont mention anything about changing the nuts,just that the snap-ring goes in a different location.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 11:59 PM
Mud in my Veins

Mine got stuck in 4lo one time after having a couple feet of water in the cab. I just let it dry out and the next day I was able to get it back into 2hi. When you push the 4lo button, do you hear any clicking down behind the passenger kick panel (might be driver side on yours)? If not then one of the relays is probably sticking or there's a wiring problem between the dash and the 4x4 module. If you DO hear clicking then there's either a problem with the motor on the t-case or a wiring prob. between the module and the t-case.

I ended up pulling the motor off mine and found the problem immediately. The grease that ford used to keep the actuator gears lubed up had gotten hard and fallen into the electrical contactors, which of course created an open in the circuit. It's not hard to pull off, so I would try this. It is self contained so the t-case fluid does not leak out when you pull it off. After cleaning the contacts I never had another t-case problem again.

Ahh, one more thing, this is important! Even if you can't get it to work, once you have the motor off you can MANUALLY put the t-case into 2hi mode again, so at least the truck is driveable (above 40 mph).

It might also be the brushes or commutators on the motor itself, you can check that out if you take it off.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:05 AM
Carey

I don't remember any clicking (Like it does when you try to wash the windshield [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img])but I did hear a good solid clunk underneath so I thought it was back in hi range then I turned off the 4x4 button. I'll try checking out the motor though because she was in a ditch full of water. And I doubt if the 4wd had ever been used before I bought the truck.

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:13 AM
Carey

Hey thanks for reminding me about that. I remember that in the instruction sheet too. I'll have to pull that back out and see what exactly it says. I bought these hubs for my Off road project but I guess the wife will get them on hers and she can replace mine. LOL it always nice when the wife is indebted to you for something. I just can't see why I would have to change the spindle nut for the hubs to work unless it has something to do with the thickness of the nut that keeps the hub from seating fully or too far in. Anybody else changed their hubs from automatic to manual?

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 02:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hmm, if you heard a clunk underneath then that makes me wonder if something inside the t-case isn't working right. Because if it let you switch 4x4 off too, then the actuator was in the 4hi position, but the gears inside the t-case weren't, which is bad news. So are either of the indicator lights lit still? If not then I suspect something bad happened. You might want to drain and fill the t-case, and strain the drained fliud and see if you notice any metal in it. Try the electrical stuff first but I would then check the fluid if that doesn't work.

good luck

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 09:52 PM
Carey

The lights are not lit and it finally went back into high range when she backed up about a half dozen times. My wife went through the process and put it back into 4WD and Low and it finally went back into 2 high. The sound I heard was the same as my NP transfer cases when I shift them out of low range so I assumed it was out until she called me and told me different later that day. It only was stuck in low for a few miles. Granted I am getting this second hand from her, I have not had any trouble with the Bronco, but she is experienced in off road. She is my partner and team mate when we lead trails for events so she knows what low range is. I may not have properly shifted out of low range myself and it may be that simple. I'm used to a 5 speed and t-case with a real shifter. The Bronco is her daily driver and our tow/family vehicle.

Carey Smith
97 (TJ) Wrangler
95 Bronco
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 10:08 PM

The electronic unit is notorious for sticking when it isn't used much. The fix is two people, on in the cab pressing the button and the other under it hitting it with a rubber hammer(as told to me by a certified Ford tech).

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode