swapping out the 300 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 12:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

swapping out the 300

im thinking of getting rid of the 300. whats the difference between the 302/351 in terms of power/torque/mileage? does my 4sp manual bolt up to a 302/351? if not what tranny should i look for? what about the transfer cases that were available? should i look to swap that out to? i'd like to go efi but i hear there's a lot of extra work involving the wiring. what should i expect with that? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:59 AM
Veteran

Re: swapping out the 300

Do you plan on doing many performance mods, and what RPM range do you want to make the most power from? The 300 six has LOTS of low-end torque stock. The 351 has about 25 more horses and LBS. of torque than the 5.0 and they still get about the same mileage. Since youre carburated now, building up a 351W will be easy, switching to EFI youre gonna need everything, but can be done. youre trans should work.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 01:30 PM

If you swap out your 300 don't bother getting a 302. The 302 has no torque at all at low rpms, trust me I have one. My 302 can barely turn my tires, of course I have 35x14.50 tires and 3.55 gears but there is absolutely no power frum idle to 2500. Why exactly are you swapping out your 300? Thats not a bad engine at all.

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 04:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

Haha, EXACTLY! Mine is JUST like that on 35's with stock gears. It feels like nitrous is kicking in from 2900-3000 rpm's! Kinda sucks off the line but it is fun when that 351 gets wound up. I can't wait to drop some 4.88s in the rear end... bye bye BFGs.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 06:18 PM

Oh and by the way, my bro has 35x14.50 boggers, stock gearing, and a 300. He has much more low end power than I do, which is most important for 90% of the wheeling around here. If your into mud bogging n [censored], the 302 does quite well though.

Man I feel ya Muddy, the 3000-5000 band is a kick in the ass. When I get some cash flow I'm gonna drop in some 4.56 gears too. Why are you going with 4.88? Are you planning on putting some 38's on or something? Wouldn't that be an extreme low gearing for 35's?

90 BRONCO Custom
6" Superlift w/Steering System
35x14.50 SSR's
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 07:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

Extreme? Extreme? You ain't SEEN extreme. I did the math one time and the revs are not that bad with 35's, but I just assume that there will eventually be 38's on the truck. If I put in 4.88's I will have an excuse to get the 38's... save gas on the highway Might eventually have 39.5's on here, who knows. Prob not if I get a Zuk but a boy can dream, can't he? I always talk myself out of big tires on a street truck cuz I know how much of a PITA they would be but then i see SWEET trucks with 40s, 42s, driving around and I think "I gotta do that!". Especially the newer dodges on 40's, they look friggin awesome. I'm gonna do the math all again before I do it just so I'll know where my RPMs will be. I'm probably going to tackle the rear job myself, and front eventually if i'm successful.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 01:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i want to do some mild mods like intake, exhaust, maybe ignition, but i figured with a 300 that has 230k its not worth modding. if dad's gonna pay for an engine i might as well go with something more powerful. i think i will since i dont have to swap out my 4sp. i really like the granny 1st when im crawlin' hills. this truck is gonna be a daily driver. i'm probably gonna go with a 6" skyjacker system and 35x14.50. i dont see myself going any bigger than that in the near future. thanks for the info guys

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-25-2001, 04:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

What kind of horse power/torque numbers are you looking for?
Are emissions controls a factor in the build up?
If you swap to a v8 you will need to find brackets for all the accesories, a new flywheel balanced for your aplication, and motor mounts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode