2.9 and c4 3 spd tranny? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 12:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

2.9 and c4 3 spd tranny?

Can anyone tell me if the Ford c4 3 spd auto tranny mates to the Ford 2.9? Want to replace this failing 5 spd manual tranny quick. Thanks!

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 02:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 2.9 and c4 3 spd tranny?

Hmm, there might be variations on the bolt pattern but I've heard of 302's in front of that tranny, so it doesn't seem like they would be compatible with the v6, but what the hell do i know? Check advance adapters, if they have an adapter for this application then that might answer the question. big help i am, but i'm probably going to be wondering the same thing when i get a zuk, so i thought i'd let you know that somebody here cares! the small truck support here aint' that great, there just aren't too many guys with rangers/bII's on here, i haven't figured out where they are yet.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I know there is a 6 bolt and a 5 bolt pattern version of the c4, and one of them supposedly is from a motor smaller than the 2.9. I'll check with AA, thanks bro.

Neal the Zukiguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 09:09 PM
Veteran

Muddy in a ZUK?

Muddy , you gonna get a Zuk? How are you gonna squeeze into one of those?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 05:18 AM
Addict

Yes, I have one mated to my 2.8 in my samurai. Just need to get one with the correct bell housing. It can be shortend pretty easily by finding the right parts in a junkyard.

A c3 or c5 would also work, but both are longer, and harder to shorten(if you wanted to do that). but they would be alot easier to find. the c4 with the correct bellhousing is hard to find. i don't know if you can use a c5 bellhousing on the c4, that might be an option. might just be able to shorten the c5 the same way i shortend my c4, but i am not sure of that either.

1990 samurai spoa
2.8 V6 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 03:50 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Muddy in a ZUK?

I'm thinking about it... it's the lightest 4x4 (besides ATV) i could think of to pull behind the bronco, and if i don't get crazy putting mega-meats on it I can pretty much keep everything stock (though a 2.9/c4 combo would kick arse in the mud). The main goals are weight and cost... the lower the better. I was toying with the idea last night of selling the bronco and getting an f250 powerstroke 2wd, then i could pull a fullsize bronco around, but that's probably dreaming.

yes, driving a Zuk is gonna be TOUGH... might have to get all lubed up just to slide in the MFer. there's no way i could have one for a daily driver ;0

ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 06:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the longer 5 spd tranny, and plan on using the Bronco II t-case in ADDITION to my Samurai t-case with its 4:16 low range. Therefor I absolutely CANNOT use the 5 spd since it leaves me with an overall rear driveshaft length of 8 3/4". I'll slip a yoke before I even reach half of my droop! So I most definitely have to use the c4, I jsut haven't been able to find anyone who could tell me with any certainty if the c4 mates to the 2.9. Everyone that has done the Ford swap in their Samurai has done the 2.8, so I seem to be charting new ground with the 2.9. Looks like I'm going to have toget dirty and spend some time in junk yard piles doing the measurements myself. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Muddy, if you are planning on getting the Zuk as a pure off road vehicle, 35's will be a perfect fit with the 2.9/c4/Samurai t-case w/4:16 4wd low. You won't have to touch your ring and pinion gearing at all. Just slap that puppy in 4wd low, slide the tranny into low, and yer crawling at a ratio of around 93:1 (I'm getting nearer to double that with the dual t-case setup on mine)! And your torque/hp output should peak around 2700 rpms. You won't break 50 mph on the highway, but you'll crawl up the side of a tree with ease. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Put the t-case in 4wd hi and yer in mud gear with around 27:1 ratio. That'll spin those 35's and get you through the mud. Don't forget to lock those dif's first or you'll spin them right out.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-19-2001, 11:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

hell yeah, sounds good. axles will hold up with 35s? i would think they will since i'm not going to be doing extreme crawlin or anything.. that should be some sweet ground clearance considering the size of those differentials!

so the t-case will bolt up to the ford tranny because it's divorced? is there anything special i need to do to make that work or is it bolt in? Why do divorced t-cases exist, anyway? Seems unneccesary. I'm fu**ing stoked man, another project, woohoo!

You have any opinions regarding flat towing vs trailered? Trailers seem kinda expensive but should help out on gas mileage and turning

ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-20-2001, 08:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

The stock axles are fine as long as you keep them locked and in the mud like you said. I will keep you updated onthe fabrications for mating the t-cases, haven't gotten that far yet.

Neal the Zukiguy

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-23-2001, 08:47 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Help me out with this 2.9 thingie

I've got a 89 2.9/A4LD (a C3 w/od in front of it). Mine is in a Ranger and is admitedly 2WD. After I bought the thing I was a bit dismayed by the fact that the A4LD was a POS and the 2.9 was a head cracking piece of junk (by most standards). First I looked for an alternative trans and found that the A4LD appeared to be the only auto offered and that the 2.9 appeared to be only offered in 89 (I could be wrong here). I've also been informed that the 4.0 is a punched out 2.9 and does not have the reputation for cracking heads. I'm not sure of the trans combo's available for it's particular electronic package however.

Basically everything that you guys are saying belies my research and I need to know where I went wrong. You appear to say that there are alternative, and hopefully more reliable, automatics out there for the 2.9 ...that is, besides a C3 (which is the same POS as the A4LD after the od quits on you). I may be dyslexic or just visually challenged[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] but I didn't find anything offered at AA. I'd love to throw a simple C4 or C4s behind that thing.

Please enlighten me.

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode