replacing body panels - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

replacing body panels

is it hard to replace the front and rear fenders? is there welding involved or are they bolt-on? and how about the lower inside of the door post NOT the door...is that hard to replace? my bronco is getting really rusty and i'm wondering if just getting a newer one would be a better way to go before i start the mods.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:25 PM

Re: replacing body panels

The fenders are straight bolt on. Open the hood and look at the bolts on top of them and that is some of them. Not sure about where the others are b/c I own a Chevy. I know you will probably have to unscrew the inner fender at the lip of those fenders and also maybe a bolt or two a the bottom of the fender behind the front wheel. There should also be one behind the grille maybe. Like I said I don't know exactly where they are just giving you an idea. Look around you'll find them. I think you are referring to the A-Pillar. Are you talking about the bars on the vertical ends of the windshield? If so those weld on. Not hard to replace any good body shop should be able to do it. They probably weld on at the bottom of the cowl, in the rain drip rail, and across inside the lip where the windshield lays. Good luck.
<font color=red>EDIT:</font color=red> You may want to send Steve83 a Private Message about the A-pillars. From what I understand he has done alot of extensive body work to his Bronco.

<font color=red>DIXIE On My Mind</font color=red>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast

I also am in the process of replacing my panels on my 1981... can get replacement panels at http://www.broncograveyard.com/products.html the front is straight forward just bolt on... the rear Im getting the whole new piece which you half to drill out the spot welds and cut it at the seam by the door then reweld a new one in but will be done right ...

One of the broncos....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 05:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I just got done replacing the front right fender on my bronco because some idiot in a corolla decided to go 70 through a redlight and slam into my right fender and right on the passenger side tire, causing me to have to have 4100 dollars worth of work done to replace the entire front axle. but anyways, the right fender wasn't too hard. there are all the obvious bolts connected visibly as on top the fender and outside below the door. there are also some hidden ones which are harder to get to. i had a hard time with the ones that were around the headlight. i removed the entire headlight and eventually found all the bolts. the three most important ones are below the right blinker, which is easier to reach from underneath. there are also 2 which hold on the blinker. The only other difficult bolt to find but was easy once i found it is visible with the passenger door open. Open it completely and look through the crack from the inside. about 3/4 of the way down you will see a bolt which can only be reached with about an 8" extension. otherwise it wasnt too difficult.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 11:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was looking around jbg and i think the part i meant were the rocker panels, not door posts. the upper left corner of my rocker panel is rusted thru with a huge hole. are those bolt on? also, will i need to spot weld the rear panels back on? if so what tools do i need? all i remember is a gigantic spot welder from shop class in middle school. are they expensive? do they have portable ones?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 11:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

The fenders are bolted on: 2 at the hood hinge, one in the door hinge area, one underneath between the door & tire, & 2 behind the headlight. Then there are also about a dozen little screws around the lip of the wheelwell.

The rocker panels & rear quarter panels are spot-welded & caulked on, and the quarter panels require some skill to align them so the t/g & camper fit.

My "extensive bodywork" consisted of removing the crushed body, buying a junk one, doing some Bondo work on it, having it sprayed, and bolting it back on. Click my sig pic to see.

[email protected]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 09:08 PM

For a cheap quick and fairly easy fix you can cut out the offending portion of the member, go to a junk yard and get the same part cut out a bit bigger and then mig weld it into place. ie if the fender well is rusted, cut out the rust and weld in what you need to fix it. You can get a good job done without a spot welder and replacement of the whole part(which is the best way if you can do it).

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2001, 10:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It takes a lot of time and patience to replace the rear quarters yourself, but it can be done! I replaced both rear quarters on my 86 a year ago. At the same time I did many other body repairs including the lower door corner you talk about (where the rocker panel meets the pillar).

You definitely need to be prepared for lots of setbacks before you take on such a project. When I started taking the Bronco apart, it seemed as though I found ten new things that should be fixed for every one that I planned on!

Check out this reply I posted a while ago to get some more info regarding the quarters:

http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...c=1#Post418934

riff-raff

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode