How to attach tow hooks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 05:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How to attach tow hooks?

I'm interested in attaching some tow hooks to my 79 Bronco, and I'm wondering if it's a simple bolt-on deal, and where to bolt them. Any suggestions appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 05:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How to attach tow hooks?

My 84 came with them bolted to the frame on each side outside easey to get to. Bill

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 07:38 PM

There are no stock places to bolt tow hooks to 78-79 Bronco's. Not that this is the answer, but I was desperate one day and was going on a last minute wheeling trip so I went to Home Depot. I got 3/8 cable and a hook with an eyelet. I strung the cable from one frame rail to the other with grade 8 bolts and the hook hung from the middle. EVERYONE laughed at it, until I had to get winched out of "the bathtub" in Colrain, MA. It worked and I used it for 3 years until I junked it.
You could probably drill holes in the bumper ears to mount some hooks. Or get a brush gaurd that bolts to the frame and bolt the tow hooks to the brush gaurd. You just have to get creative.
I have an 89 F350 that had no place to mount front hooks. I (had a friend that) welded a 1/4" steel plate across the front frame ears. I mounted two standard tow hooks to the plate and cut two square holes in the front of the bumper to acess the hooks.

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 08:48 PM
Veteran

Hey Victor, ever figure out the problem with your transfer case?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-15-2001, 10:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I went to a parts store(forgot which one-oreilly's maybe?) and got two black tow hooks, 10 bucks a piece, they look good, but haven't put them on yet cause I gotta drill holes in the frame and haven't gotten around to it. But you can get them from walmart, and partds stores, or magazines-jcwhitney comes to mind-you can also get chrome-nasty IMO-but whatever suits you.

MY2- how much did that cost, and what guage cable-didn't catch it if you threw it.

Tom

I love Cops. They just don't like me.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 01:49 AM

It was quite a few years ago, but I don't remember it costing more than $20-$25. I got the thickest cable they had that was covered in clear plastic. Either 5/16 or 3/8

The trouble with being on top...You always have to look over your shoulder. The best never rest. Fear the FORD thunder!!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 06:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Transfer Case

BMnia, I sorta did... I was out in some fields one day and had to put it in 4x. I put it in 4low, and tooled around for a bit, and just for kicks I tried to put it in 4high...it went in. So, I never figured it out, but it started working again. Go figure. Now if I can just figure out that engine clattering, I'll be all set.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 02:30 PM
dawgghanson

Victor,
Here is a site w/a pic:
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/tech/recovery/

Will look for a pic of our 78 w/hooks and scan if I find any left (sold it last Dec).

and ask here too:
http://www.projectbronco.com/

Al
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2001, 09:16 PM

hahahahaha....if he asks at ProjectBronco.com, I'll give him the same answer I gave him here. LOL

post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2001, 12:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was looking at putting hooks on the front of my '83. I looked at the recovery points section, and I swear that they're two different trucks! My bumper seems to be in the way of using underside of the frame for hooks. The guys at the 4x4 shop here say to add a brushguard for tow points.

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks,
Ryan

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode