AOD core & rebuild question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

AOD core & rebuild question

Questions on my AOD

I am notoriously hard on trannys and I worry my 86's AOD is going to fail some day. On my Mopars I use only 727s and that's fixed things permanently, but I ain't willing to go to the equally bulletproof C-6 and give up the great mileage this AOD gives me in my Bronco.

Being a planner, I'd like to get a second AOD and rebuild it using Level 10(or some other good company's) components and replace the weak link of a shaft I've heard so much about.

What donor vehicles and years can I yank an AOD out of for my 86 EFI 302 ? Are all RWD AODs the same or will only AODs meant for 4X4s work ? Also what other motors have the same bellhousing bolt pattern and can be used ?

Lastly I ain't interested in a looser converter or a shift kit per say, but I do want to build it as close to bulletproof as possible. In light of this what other components are worth beefing up on the AOD ?

Thanks again

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2001, 10:39 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: AOD core & rebuild question

I'll preface this by saying I'm far from being an expert on transmissions, but for what it's worth:

Advance Adapters has the best info on bellhousing bolt patterns and years, but they DO have mistakes in some of their info. I found their online catalog (which has to be dl'd into Acrobat) and here are some excerpts:

"Ford V8: Ford V8s use three different block bolt patterns. These engine groups can be found on the bottom of Page 43. Most of the adapters and motor mounts we offer are for the Ford small block. Ford used two flywheels, 157 tooth & 164 tooth. These starters index and bolt on to the bellhousing. It is imperative that you match the flywheel, starter and bellhousing. If you mismatch any of these items, it will only cause you grief! The 351 Windsor is considered a small block but has a few differences. One difference is that the heads of the block are wider. This may cause exhaust clearance problems on some conversions. Another difference is the oil pan bolt pattern. Conversions, such as the Bronco II, require a special oil pan that may need to be purchased."

"SMALL BLOCK FORDS: 289, 302 and 351 Windsor all have the same block bolt pattern.
FORD BLOCKS: 332, 352, 360, 390, 406, 427 and 428 all have the same block bolt pattern.
FORD BLOCKS: 429, 460, 351 Midland and 400 Midland all have the same block bolt pattern."

The only differences between a 2WD & a 4WD AOD (assuming they're both going to be rebuilt & beefed anyway) are:
(of course) the tailshaft & its housing which can be unbolted & swapped;
the filter & its pan - the 4WD has a ~2" square x ~1" deep sump in the middle of the pan & the filter has a pickup tube that matches;
the breather on the top of the case - 2WDs have a stub with a cap but 4WDs have a short rubber L going to a long metal tube that runs up the spine to a bellhousing bolt & then down the L side beside the kickdown cable bracket.
(I'm pretty sure all AOD's are RWD - I think the FWD tranny is AXOD.)

When I had the AOD rebuilt for that '75 I did, they guy who rebuilt it recommened (& I deferred to his experience) putting in some Mustang components in the tailshaft/pump area for strength, durability, & performance, but I don't remember exactly what parts he substituted.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode