has anyone "detuned" their power steering? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

has anyone \"detuned\" their power steering?

Has anyone out there "detuned" their factory powersteering? By detuned I mean reduced the pressure relief to put MORE effort into the wheel. Currently my son's 83 rusty bronco steers too easy...let me explain. We just replaced the ball joints and one "spindle bearing"(the flat roller bearing that only works when you're in 4WD). We got it aligned and new street tires and it tracks well...however with the violent shocks that get transmitted to the driver of heavy duty suspension vehicle it causes the driver to input these lurches to the steering wheel. With the "light" steering it is an "annoyance". I'm trying to feel more effort in the wheel here.

I know this is exactly opposite what most of you experience out there (I've done a search) but it appears to be what is called for in this situation.

TIA
GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: has anyone \"detuned\" their power steering?

I know what you're talking about. I had the shocks off my right front one time and every time I'd hit a bump I'd bounce around and steer back and forth because of the movement. I still do it somewhat now...the truck rocks a lot for some reason, and yes, the steering wheel gets pulled back and forth because, like you said, it's so easy to turn. I dont' have an answer but I do understand what you're talking about.

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the only way i can think of to do that would be to put a bigger pulley on the power steering pump, causing it to turn slower, hence, making less power steering pressure. i imagine this would make it a little less ... 'easy' to steer. i do know what u are talking about, but there are a lot of times when i also enjoy thats simple steering ability.

dominic

"MUD BUCKET" 1984 bronco, 88 302, 32x11.5 , a true redneck in the riceboy heartland of north jersey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 09:15 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Yes, maybe a larger pulley would do it..but at high rpms I might be in the same boat. I'm wondering (and someone here might know) when Ford developed (or improved) their "speed sensitive" power steering. Perhaps if I swapped out a newer pump ...assuming that the "speed sensitive" part of it is in the pump.

Does anyone know where the pressure relief valve is located? Is it in the pump or the recirculating ball thingie?

GeeAea

Now that I've quit smoking my doctor informs me that I'll die in much better health!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2001, 10:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Would a steering stabilizer help that situation?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 11:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds like the perfect candidate for a steering stabalizer, maybe the dual stabalizer setup. The larger pulley is a good idea also, but you should get good results with the stabalizer.

'96 XLT 351
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Got one - single only however. The problem isn't that I (or my son) can't control the vehicle under normal conditions ..... it's as easy as reading fine print while sitting on a washing machine on spin cycle (unbalanced[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). I just want to put some "feel" into the wheel. Right now it has no feedback at all. I could sit there with the last digit on my pinkie finger and take the thing lock to lock w/o a problem....at least I think so(I didn't actually try this). This may just be the natural "numbness" of the beast.

Ah.....maybe I just spent too much time in rack and pinion cars and I'm probably a little out of practice on doing the "Mombo" with the steering wheel.

Thanks for your input

GeeAea

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 07:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could always get a shorter belt and bypass the power steering pump altogether [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

'96 XLT 351
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 08:13 PM
Mud in my Veins

What does the adjuster on the steering box control? Maybe it could help, but I really don't even know what it does.

ArkansasMud.com, proud home of the sticky brown mud
Muddybronco
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2001, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I think that sets some preload on the worm gear. Perhaps a slight tightening could yield some resistance in the wheel. Good thought. I'll play with it a little and see what happens. I'll try not to go overboard since I'm sure it adds a wear factor.

What have I got to lose?

Ya gotta love the information age!

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode