Oh my god!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 07:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh my god!!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH my wheel almost fell off going to 1st hour the other day!!! Well me and my dumba$$ forgot to snug the lug nuts all the way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] it scared the living crud outta me. I was hearing a clinking sound from my front left(still) and so we took off the wheel and looked at brakes, I think it is my auto hubs-anyone else experienced similar- my friend said his uncle does with his truck-it is a later model with auto hubs. But anyway I was driving down a 5 lane road when i hear a knocking sound and looked out, my tire was an inch farther than usual! Then it was wobbling then I stopped in the center lane and tightened em down with fingers-no four way![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img]-then pulled into a driveway. That was scary but I still made it to my class. c ya'll later.
Tom

"I will make the dirt fly"-Teddy Roosevelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 09:42 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Oh my god!!

Hahahah, well, after my brother swapped rear ends in his Blazer we headed to the local hole. I was behind him, going up this steep hill, and I noticed his wheel kinda shift. As soon as we topped that hill, the sucker flew off and the sparks started flyin! You should have seen the face on the guy in the malibu when a 35" BFG was rolling straight for him and side swiped his car! It was so funny, AFTER the fact. We had to clean the aluminum out of the threads with a wire brush then after hunting down the tire in a gully we torqued it down and headed to the mud! The groove from a chevy 10 bolt drum is still in that road to this day. Oh yeah, he had to get another drum too, but we had an extra from the old rear end that grenaded on him. That was an interesting day. Luckily we weren't doing but 30 mph at the time. I think that blazer would have been toast at 70 mph, if it could even go that fast.

It's a multi-purpose passenger vehicle and it eats SUVs for breakfast...get it straight!

Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-30-2001, 10:40 PM
Mud in my Veins

Loose nuts

I've had the mystery wobble a few times - I'm pretty sure it was caused by 15-year-old lug studs and the centers on the old axleshafts. My originals were small and would let the rim really move if the lugs weren't tight. Right after I replaced most of the rear studs, the R&P blew up the second time, but the '87 axle has big centers - same size as the fronts - and it hasn't happened since.

Steve 83 Bronco 4.9L
<font color=red>Build it; Don't buy it...</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2001, 12:02 AM

Re: Loose nuts

Embarassing as heck ain't it ?

My Brother was so bucks down when we were in our late teens, and into British cars, that he used the wrong lug nuts on the aluminum rims he'd scored at a swap meet for real cheap. They worked their way off a couple of times, but the most dangerous time was on a freeway at 70 mph.

I was driving because he and the rest were tanked and we're rolling along in the fast lane about 70 mph, luckily with not too many cars on the road. I'm listening to all the drunks gassing away when suddenly I see this strangely familiar looking wheel rolling just ahead of our bumper. I was just thinking "someone's in a world of hurt" when it hit me that was OUR wheel and WE were about to crash !!!!

Just then the front end went down in a shower of sparks and we started to slide to a stop, but we were veering for the guard rail and the steering wasn't doing a thing. I thought quickly and grabbed the E brake in between to scared &$#@less Brothers and that changed the direction of the skid(scrape?) and we finally stopped safely.

We lifted the car off into the grass median and I went off into the dark to hunt down the wheel, which I eventually found 400 yards ahead. When I came back there was one very doubtfull older (wise) officer of the law taking down information from three very drunk passengers. Up until I showed up with the wheel I don't think he was entirely buying their story of this huge, sober driver out looking for the wheel.

He called us a tow truck and insisted we not fix it there (wise) and sent us on our way safe in the knowledge it wasn't our fault, as some theives had obviously loosened the nuts and had been interupted.

9 lives - 1 life, you're down to eight my friends ! That the good lord for that one

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode