tires and lift - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tires and lift

ok i just got a price on a 6" suspension lift by rough country. it is right about 500$. i want to know if this is a good lift. it says theres blocks in the rear and new coils and all in the front. the kit comes with four heckerthorn shocks. i would like some opionions if possible. and what size tires to run? i was thinking 35's? soo what do u think?

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: tires and lift

Yeah, you can definetely run 35's......with a 3" bodylift, you can run 39's....[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Also, expect to pay 700 alltogether for the lift cuz u still need the pitman arm, brake lines, and a few other misc parts.
-mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

a friend of mine just told me that i am going to have to tilt my motor and re-angle my rear so that the driveshaft will spin at the right angle. do i have to do this for my bronco? and how hard is it to do? they said that if i do the 4 inch i wont have to re-angle anything and it will be alot easier to instal. is there any truth to that? thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:06 PM
Enthusiast

I personally now have a 4" rancho on my 81' bronco runnin 35" tires and hate the front radius arms since they hit on big tires... so I like the tuff country front setup it is a true 6" and there radius arms are bent and have more travel... then the question is do you like blocks? I dont to much care for blocks so I would get rear leafs from superlift or possibly go with the complete superlift kit with the extended radius arms (super runner arms)...Then I now have the rancho add aleaf so would go blocks though before add aleaf again in the rear...Then theres the steering mine seems ok with the steering of 35" tires but I would/am going to do the AGR upgrade pump, cooler etc...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

No, you will not have to tilt your motor with the 6" lift, or any lift. You will have to turn the rear axle housing slightly but that is built into the kit. I have 6" and driveshafts are fine. You WILL need a big drill and two high quality drill bits of certain sizes that will be mentioned in the instructions. I think it's 1/2" and 7/16". You'll also want an assistant. By the way, if you're lifting it in a garage, make sure there's more than 6" between your truck and the top of the door when you pull in, because if not you won't be pulling out

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thanks for the replies. my neighbor will be helping me put it in and we will be doing it outside so we wont have to worry about the garage. hey muddy bronco what other parts besides the ones in the kit will i be needing? this is my first lift and am not to sure of what exactly i will need. thanks

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Hmm, depends what kit you're getting. They all seem to leave something out though. I don't know if you're taking recommendations but I am not pleased with my skyjacker lift. Precision was not good and these shocks (their cheaper ones) are already gone after 8 months. One thing I left off was a power grinder IF you have rivets holding on your radius arm brackets. Mine were bolted on but I think most have at least 2 rivets in them that have to be grinded off.

Many people say to replace your axle pivot bushings while you're lifting it...might be a good idea. It's about 30 bucks for the pair at Napa. Requires some kinda press or you can just beat the hell out of them with a sledge and they'll go in.

One important thing that's usually not included is a front anti-swaybar drop bracket kit. I think it's about 30 bucks and moves your swaybar down and toward the rear. Most people and 4x4 shops I talk to say the extended radius arms are for show, and I tend to agree. Flex is fine on mine with just the drop brackets. If you have some money left over I would go ahead and snag some rear springs instead of blocks (about $400 extra).

I would also have a floor jack and some good tall jack stands. Air tools are optional, I didn't use them and didn't need to, just takes a little longer.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:01 PM
Enthusiast

it will have a new drop down bracket for the front IFS... in my case it had to torch off the old one to bolt the new drop down bracket (something to look at)

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

the one thing i like about extended radius arms is that u dont have the drop bracket for the stock arms. with the drop bracket, there is a much bigger moment created around the bolts holding them in, and then u drive over something, the stress is much greater. i know people who have broken the drop brackets on their trucks, and it wasnt fun. just thought i would give my 2 cents.

Dominic

1984 bronco = good
tree = bad
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 08:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i was just checking out some prices and the superlift kit is about the same price as the rough country. but i am not sure if it comes with shocks or not. witch brand do u guys like best or any other brands? i want to do this all right the first time besides the rear springs witch i am gonna do this summer. what do u think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode