Chev problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 11:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chev problems

I took my 98 Suburban in because the waterpump was going bad. It also needed an new AC compressor (notorious for Chev) and I was getting a check engine light every now and then. The truck is still under ext.warrenty. (sp) The dealer called me and told me that the PCM (computer) was bad. I know this is the Bronco site, but I have come to trust many of you guys while working on my bronco. What can cause a computer box to go bad? You can save the normal Ford/Chev put downs, because I believe that there are many cross breeders out there, as I am.

RidingHigh's stable
93 Bronco Eddie 302 32 BFG AT Warn Prem (this is the only transportation I currently have)
98 Chev Suburban LT 350 (current problems stated)
68 Pontiac Firebird 400 (current frame off resto taking place)
85 Hydra-sport 22ft DC..96' 200Merc EFI (my other hobby)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chev problems

I don't know how bad you thrash your vehicles, but you may have gotten contamination to corrode the innards. Another possibility could be harsh vibrations causing failure, power surges (park near any high tension lines?), or poor grounds.
Where is your PCM mounted? Aren't the GM's under hood? Heat, humidity, and the rest of the unfriendly underhood environment may have helped your PCM's demise.
Another explanation could be that [censored] just happens...

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 02:46 PM

Anything under three years old and you shouldn't be suspecting anything but a defect straight from the factory.

I remember my buddy selling new cars at a Pontiac Buick dealer in the early nineties and he was embarassed more than once with a brand new computer quitting on test drives. Several times the young couple would drive off the lot with a brand new sunbird(sunfire? whatever the cavalier equivalent was), up to a stoplight a quarter of a mile away and the thing would die right there waiting for the light to change on a test drive.

My buddy stopped accompanying the couples for fear of stalling out there. Each time nothing on God's green earth would restart the econoboxes, except a new computer. Every time it was the same response from GM "we're working on it".

In conclusion, DO NOT take any guff from the service people about your driving habits or conditions you have subjected the Sub to, as having caused it. IT'S THEIR DERN FAULT, and they can dern well wind back the warantee on that piece and start over thank you very much.

Give them proper heck, it's your money (you're still making humongous payments right?)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 04:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The payments are as big as an Excursion. It is extremely humid in Houston, so that could be the culprit + I live a few blocks from the Bay (salt water). Unlike the Bronco, this vehicle is rarely offroad (wifes auto) so I doubt it is vibration. The dealer is taken care of this due to the Ext Warr (7/70) so I am covered for at least 30K more. Since this problem has been worked on once, will they repair it in the future after the Warranty has expired?

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-13-2001, 05:36 PM

You'd want to make sure you a.) make very clear, in writing and verbally that you expect this and b.) make sure you keep all documentation that will prove this later. Telephone calls and conversations are not to good in court. Maybe now is the time to find out more about the warantee and the possibilities and costs of extending it.

No new vehicle is getting any easier to work on in your own backyard. That's why I drive oldies, but if emissions checks every make it to my part of the world, I may be driving new from there on in (just like they want me to).

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 03:54 PM
Enthusiast

Your having problems already with the 98'...I have a 95' suburban and havent touched it in 4yrs (except normal tuneup etc..) until recently had a intake gasket leak so had to replace that $500.00 4yrs...not to bad...

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 04:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have owned many Chevy's in my life and have had good luck with all of them. I got 230,000 miles out of a 85Chev Camaro V6 with little more than oil changes. I guess, as was stated earlier $hit happens. As you know, the 350 Bow Tie (much like the 302 and the 351) is a work horse and has numerous aftermarket parts avaliable to keep it running for many years. I am a computer programmer and I understand that many things can cause failure on our hardware. My guess, and this has not been confirmed, is that some type of surge fried the thing.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

I think I have figured out your problem. If you look in front of your radiator you will see one of two things. Either an oval that is blue in color or a cross that's more gold in color. If you have the cross then that's your problem and you need to swap it for the oval.

Seriously though, computers are nice until they go bad, that's when these $40K vehicles become boat ancors. I imagine there are some bugs in them too, considering how many bugs there are in PC software when it first comes out. Good luck with your chebby.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 05:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I was trying to keep this post away from the Chev/Ford debate. They both have there advantages and disadvantages. I am not sure , but I would not be shocked if one manufacture produces some components (computer, transfer case?, etc) that are the same on both vehicles.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2001, 06:07 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Identical parts

Actually, there are very few. Even though NP/NV produced trannies & t-cases for all 3 and Dana made axles for all 3, they were generally brand-specific, even within the same model number. The only things I can think of are tires, batteries, hub locks, and maybe u-joints on a few applications.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
<font color=red>Be it; Don't dream it...</font color=red>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode