Ball Joint update - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 11:24 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ball Joint update

What a job! A simple task turned nightmare. I have changed a lot of ball joints in my life, I was a mechanic in the army for four years, worked on hummers, 2.5 - 5 ton trucks and a lot of different tanks. I have never experienced anything like I did this weekend. 15 year old ball joints SUCK! First of all, the nut on the lower ball joint, broke my Craftsman ratchet with a cheater bar on it, didn't budge. No problem, I run to sears, exchange ratchet and buy 1/2" drive breaker bar. Oh yeah, all along I was applying heat from a propane torch. Get home, use breaker bar and 3 foot cheater bar..............Boom, something breaks, its not the nut but the edges on the nut. OK, now I move on to acetylene, get the joint glowing red hot and get the nut off. Not too big a deal. Both balljoint nuts removed, I keep remembering what the manual said, watch the knuckle, it will fall right off on your toe. I WISH. Knucke will not budge, sledge hammer, will not budge, oxy-acetylene and sledge, will not budge, at this point the grease in the ball joints is boiling and the boots are on fire. Finally, a pickle fork between the nuckle and axle gets it to drop. The holes in the axle were deposited with metal from the years the ball joints spent in there, in othere words, the joints were welded in place. After that, the job was a breeze and everthing went together quickly. The ball joints came out and went in easily with a ball joint press and air impact, man I love air power tools! All and all, it was a simple job turned night mare by 15 year old parts. The lesson learned? Be harder on your vehicle so you are forced to replace parts regularly, that way they wont be "welded" in place. hehe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 01:41 PM
Mud in my Veins

Can you say \"Anti-Sieze Compound\"????

I hope you slathered it up with this stuff when you put it back. It's like $8 for a ~10oz. bottle of Perma-Tex, and I'm still on the first bottle I bought 2 years ago. It's recommended for oxygen sensors and other exhaust fasteners, lug nuts (steel and aluminum rims), U-bolts, head bolts, etc., but I've put it on EVERY machine-threaded fastener I've worked on since I got the stuff. Now, EVERYTHING is easy: front spindles, water fittings, frame bolts, camper shell, fenders, steering column, brake bolts, ad nauseum...

I HIGHLY recommend it.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:46 PM

Re: Can you say \"Anti-Sieze Compound\"????

Steve

I'm gonna try that Perma-Tex stuff. Hope I can get it in Canada.

Brad

I hear you on the misery. I usually farm out ball joints on cars, never mine trucks. I've got a trick for you for next time a nut seizes on you. Many shocks I've changed on my Mopar cars used to drive me nuts as the nuts on the stems always "bond" or "become one" with the stems. Last Summer I was doing the fronts and there was limited room, up inside the fenders, to get my favourite hitting tools in there to beat the bee-jeezus out of them, so I whipped out the Sawzall.

Cut the flats off each side of the nut and flick the remaining pieces off with your finger. It worked for me ! The only other trick I can offer is use a large enough pickle fork and place it so you can get your biggest hammer in close for a really good sharp RAP! repeated hammerings don't work as well as one really good sudden rap.
Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 10:30 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Can you say \"Anti-Sieze Compound\"????

Liquid Wrench saves knuckles, too, and it's cheaper than a Sawzall. I've always found using a hammer to vibrate parts (especially after rinsing them with Liquid Wrench) to be VERY effective, and less traumatic to the parts than one vicious smack. My aim is terrible when I swing that hard, anyway.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode