Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   project 5.0L to 5.8L complete (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/56786-project-5-0l-5-8l-complete.html)

slickerthanyou 02-11-2001 09:43 PM

project 5.0L to 5.8L complete

I swear it seems like I'm never gonna get done with my truck. This coversion has been nothing but a headache. First I couldn't come up with a computer(that's solved), then had to figure out the wiring harness(that's solved), then had to get a new distibutor, then a new radiator (I had a little temper problem with the old plastic one.)Then I had to cut the "Y" pipe exhaust with one of the cats (this was actually a good and bad thing) And then I had to figure out the alternator wiring, and finnally I put all new hoseing on. I wouldn't have been able to do this all without the help of all of you. Thanks a [censored] load everyone I have learned a great deal in doing this swap. I learned never to swap an engine thats 6 years newer that your vehicle 'cause it's gonna suck. Well I will help anyone as much as I can. You'll have to excuse me now I need to find some mud and a chevy to run over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm gonna have to post some pics as soon as I can figure out how.
Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!

Sixlitre 02-11-2001 09:49 PM

Re: project 5.0L to 5.8L complete

Bob

Sounds like you're nearly there. What year 351 did you drop into your 90 ? Did you stick with EFI or go to a carb ? and how did you trick the computer.

Malcolm

slickerthanyou 02-12-2001 08:05 AM

Re: project 5.0L to 5.8L complete

I went up to a '96 351w out of a F350 and It was alot more work than I care to see in a long time. The computer I bought a reman one from advance [ had to go through hell to figure out what one I needed the ford dealer parts guys around pittsburgh really suck. I think I know more than they do and I've only been a ford owner for 2 years.] I had to find out what the engine was out of then call the dealer with the info, trans type,engine size,model year ect. and he gave me three options so I contacted an aftermarket place called 2D performance superchips distributor and they matched me up with the one I have now (I'ts stock for know but this summer the chip will fly.)they used all the info the dealer did plus some #'s from the engine. It cost me $181 there was a $75 core charge. Which I got back so $106 total. She runs like hell.

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!