Aftermarket Alternator - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 02:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Aftermarket Alternator

My alternator is finally coming to an end after almost 18 years of service, and I think that I want to go aftermarket, because I will be putting in a couple of twelves in the rear, and even though I will get a cap, I still don't want to have any charging problems. What is the best aftermarket alternator to get for an 84 Bronc? Could I get a one wire? What would be the complications of a one wire setup? Or, should I just go with a FoMoCo alternator?
-mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 02:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Aftermarket Alternator

Premier Power Welder is probably the best-known alternator, but there are plenty out there. But any decent alternator shop can rebuild your current one with all new parts to about 180 amps (which is plenty) for roughly the same price, and it will bolt in and wire up with no problems. We used to keep some in stock, and we could order them overnight (when I worked at a shop).

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 01:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Steve,
What's the price of the premier power welder, is it a one wire, and where can I locate one at?
-mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 02:20 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Aftermarket Alternator *edited*

I dunno. I've never priced them, but check premierpowerwelder.com, carparts.com, and yahoo. There have been several magazine write-ups about the install but I don't specifically remember if it's the 1-wire type. And mechman.com is an alternator shop that builds custom units.
*This is the alternator page, but I didn't have any trouble going to mechman.com. And Performance Distributors also sells alternators.*

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 02:33 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve,
Checked out Power Welder, and realized it was the ****in sh!t when it comes to alternators!!!!
Dropping a grand though......kinda expensive
Anyway, I now have something to think about getting. I am going to email them in the future and find more information out about them, and I have realized that I could use this as an opportunity to learn how to weld. (not just put two pieces of metal together in shop class.)
Do you know anything else on this product? Do you know anyone that's currently running one? What would it's welding capabilities be limited to?
Thanx Steve, I'll always leave it up to you when it comes to giving me new ideas [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
-mike

ps, that last reference didn't find server

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 02:54 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Aftermarket Alternator *

I haven't really researched this, but I think any of these other places can build an alternator that puts out about what Premier does. But Premier has the welding box option with the 110V power option.

*I've never seen a Premier IRL, but the time I went thru the website, it seemed pretty thorough. As I understand it, its welding capabiities are the same as any welding machine with the Premier's current rating.

Steve
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 12:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aftermarket Alternator *

Cool. I think I have seen them in the magazines, though. Is that where you found them? Or were you just doing a website search, and stumbled across them?

Anyone have any experience, or know anyone running these Premier Welder alternators that can let you weld off of their output?
-mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 12:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Welding

I've seen them in magazines for years. I also saw an article (probably by Rick Pewe) describing trail welding with batteries. A regular welding machine runs at 29VDC, so you can do a decent job with standard sticks and 2 batteries, or get REALLY good penetration with 3 (36V). The article said it wasn't any harder than using an AC-powered machine, and a decent welder could get just as good results. (You DO have to pull the batteries from the vehicles first, though!)

Steve
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 01:33 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Welding

Somebody was telling me about that and it sounded like a good idea. How much is a cheap welder? I'd really like to get into custom fabbing and actually I want to build a ultra light vehicle on 3/4 ton running gear and run at the mud races around here. Kinda like Junkyard Wars on TLC. Also, why couldn't you just run out the hot wire and neutral from a 110 source and weld with rods using that? I've done a little welding and realize that every time it "sticks" you'd have to reset the circuit breaker, but if you were good it wouldnt' do that much.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-11-2001, 02:36 PM
Mud in my Veins

DON\'T TRY IT!!!

110VAC is not only <font color=red>too high a voltage</font color=red>, but AC causes horrible spatter, and a 15 Amp household outlet and breaker can't carry NEARLY the current that would push! Also, a 110V arc would put out so much light it would blind you (even thru a welding shield) and so much <font color=red>X-radiation</font color=red> you'd be sterilized! Welding machines are carefully engineered - if you could do what you suggested, there would be no need for them. Besides, they're dirt cheap at pawn shops.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode