Here's my rear axle #'s - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 02:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here\'s my rear axle #\'s

Alright guys, I guess I am stupid. I have been looking through old posts (up to the last 46 pages) and I have pulled axle codes and everything else. I cannot figure out what size my axle is. I know I have low gears, running about 3 grand at 65 MPH with 32"tires, and I am an engineer but too lazy to do the calculations. I am holding my rear axle tag in my hand, here is exactly the way the numbers are printed:

S318D
3 50 9 6G17

What the hell does this mean?????????

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 02:07 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Here\'s my rear axle #\'s

The first 4 digits of the second line are the ratio and diff type. Yours has a 3.50 gear set, and an open diff. If it was limited slip, it would say "3L50...". The other digits are build, brake, date, and option codes, but the "9" in the 6th position on the second line may mean it's a 9"; are there studs with nuts facing forward?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks Steve. All along the damn numbers were right in front of my nose. Yes it is a 9", I have had it out before. I thought it had a 4.1 in it. Kinda wish it did now. I don't know a lot about rear ends but the guy I took it to when I had it checked out said it was a heavy duty 9", said it how 4 spider gears. Does that make any sense?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 02:32 PM
Mud in my Veins

All diffs have 4 gears in the carrier - 1 on each axle & 2 on the cross shaft. If this guy thinks that makes it HD, look for someone else to work on it!

BTW Just because the tag says 3.50, that doesn't mean someone hasn't changed them. Either count the teeth on the R&P, turn the shaft and measure the turns PRECISELY, or pull the chunk and look at the tooth counts stamped into the edge of the ring gear - otherwise, you can't be sure.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 10:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. Actualy, I would say that I am the one who doesn't know what they are talking about. The guy who told me I have a heavy duty rear end is my neibors brother-in-law. The guy is a Ford expert and builds race cars. When me and my neibor run into problems with a vehicle, we always contact him, he has yet to steer us wrong. This was over a year ago when I took out the rear end so I must have misunderstood something.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2001, 11:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

That didn't sound right to me, so I looked it up. According to my chart, if you're running 3K at 65 without overdrive, you've got at least 4.10's, maybe even a little lower gearing, like 4.27 or 4.56? I would definitely double check your tooth count before assuming that tag is correct.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 06:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Muddy,
can you check your chart for me. I'm running about 70 tacking a RCH o 2k. My tag on dif reads
3L55 886A23
I'm assuming I have 3.55 with limited. Very cool on the limited but 3.55 sucks for 35 tires.
Keep in mind I was reading the same with my 31" tires before the lift.
Now with the 35's on, I'm sure I'm doing a lot faster then what is indicated.

BTW: is limited slip as good as a loker? I guess I have the factory Ford "Traction-Lok". Any feedback?
As always, thanks

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2001, 09:28 PM

As for the question of LS being as good as a Locker....How well does a spork work as a spoon? The LS is just that Limited...ie..it will slip. The locker it, well locks it, which implies no slip.

Havack!

The main difference in my truck and yours is your truck is a toy and my truck is a truck!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2001, 05:00 PM
Mud in my Veins

96Bronc, definitely 3.55's, you're running the same size tire as me and mine is right at 2K at 70, though today it was more like 2800 because I had a head wind and the OD didn't want to kick in. I like the limited slip for driving around in the yard without tearing up the grass, but Havack's right, in the mud there's no comparison to a locker.

JEEP, it's what's for dinner.

<A HREF="http://www.arkansasmud.com/" target="_new">
ArkansasMud.com</A>
Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode