exhaust survey - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 09:44 AM Thread Starter

exhaust survey

Well I got my Exhaust figured out. I call the shop where I got my vortex cat back system and they are going to fab me a "Y" pipe for my 1996 5.8L engine that I dropped into my 1990 bronco because the '96 has a different angle. I called the dealer and they quoted me $1500!!!!! because it comes with the converter[f-them]. My guy quoted me $300 that included all flanges and 16 gauge pipe. Sounds like a deal. What do you think? By the way, I had to cut off one of the cats but I'm leaving on the other one just for inspection purposes that was his idea. Of course I'm gonna put a pipe through it first so it will be just for show. NO RESTRICTIONS!! Cats suck!!!!!

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:38 PM

Re: exhaust survey

Sounds like a plan

Are you running a large single all the way back ? I replaced the stock tail pipe and muffler with Speedy replacement parts about 3 years ago on the 86 EFI 5.0 litre, but I'm watching what everyone else is using to see what the best system is for when I need to go front to back in a year or three.

I had performed the torturous job of changing the exhaust manifold gaskets last Summer and was surprised how solid that "two pipes into cat stock Y-pipe still was. I wonder what gauge they used, it was rock solid even after 16 years ! I seriously doubt the cat is doing a whole lot after all this time, but we don't have emissions tests up here anyway so like you say who cares.

So far after reading everyone's posts I've got a pretty good idea of what my system will incorporate when it comes time to change out the whole system. Reading everyone's trials with duals and for simplicity and economy reasons, duals are out for me.

The single I aims to go for will start with two oversized pipes off the manifolds bent using the Midas bending cards except I want them ending up one on top of the other for stock style clearance. Summit makes a great flowing two into one adapter that looks more like a header collector, this will be welded in to convert the two 2 1/2s into a full sized 3" system.

At the start of the 3" system a triangular 3 bolt holed flange will be welded in, making sure the pointy end faces up and not down where it might get torn off 4X4ing. Somebody's (the cheapest) 3" high flow cat will have similar 3 bolt holed flanges welded onto either end of it and a another flange will start the 3" pipe that make the run to the muffler.

The jury is still out on the muffler and I'll probably use the best 3" muffler that technology can offer then. I'd kinda like to use a similar cigar shape like the stock one, because I think they look like a "real truck's" muffler, but hey like I said, I'll use whatever is considered the best then.

Lastly I'm either going to graft on a Dodge Cummins 3-4" side exit tailpipe or have a clone built to look like it. These little Hondas with their pee shooter exhausts kill me with their 5" tailpipes but nobody, from any marque, laughs at that honkin' large Cummins tailpipe when their drivers window is level with it at a stoplight. It just screams "yeah, this truck's got the power to tear your Honda in half buddy".

That's my dream exhaust system, this week, good luck with yours

Malcolm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 11:44 PM

Forgot to add that I'm going to have a flanged "test pipe" made up the same length as the 3" cat in case I need full flow at anytime.

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 12:40 AM

Ain't goin' with duals for two more reasons. Firstly ground clearance and secondly, they still haven't proved that duals are better than a large single for increasing (or more importantly maintaining) low speed torque. I think that's kinda important of a full sized Bronco with only a 5.0 litre motor.

Malcolm

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 01:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, the duals with the crossovers have been proven to increase horsepower, (x crossovers, not those crappy h-pipe crossovers), so I think yer right on target, six.
-mike

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 01:43 PM Thread Starter

I have single with duals coming from the muffler, I did it for looks more than anything and my chrome extentions are 4inch diameter 18 inches long a bit over done but sounds and looks cool.

Backyard Builder-If I ain't drivin it I'm under it!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

on my 1980 bronco I have true dual exhaust seperate with a cat on each... I actually bought it that way so dont know what the difference is in pwr vs torque etc... I am planning on getting some new full length headers and changing to flowmaster 2 chambers but keep it true dual...then on my 1981 have the single with a borla but that has a cracked block so havent driven in awhile

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 08:31 PM

Do you have a crossover pipe just before your cats ?

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode