Disconnect Power Steering - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:29 PM
abrrox

Disconnect Power Steering

What are the chances of doing this? I know these things weigh 5,500 pounds, but at high speeds (80 mph) my steering just feels too loose - like if I accidentally touched the wheel the sucker would roll. My intermediate shaft is worn and the ball joints are on the way out, but I really can't see those items making it so touchy to drive, do you think? Any good advice appreciated.

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Disconnect Power Steering

I can tell you if you "disconnect" it it will tear up the gearbox without the fluid going thru it.This is from experience while driving my 79 Bronco when the pump was bad.Doesn't tunr worth [censored] off-road at all.Just replace the worn parts and I promise you'll see abig difference.I still can't find a reasonably priced steering box for mine.Anybody done a conversion?

1996 F350 SRW 4X4 POWERSTROKE 4"LIFT 4:10 38"GROUND HOGS FULLY CUSTOMIZED
1979 BRONCO 460 C-6 205 3:50'S 33"THORNBIRDS
PROJECT CJ7 ON HOLD
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 12:09 AM
Mud in my Veins

That would be like unhooking the booster because the brake pedal was soft - it would only make things worse. Fix what's worn out. Yes; either a bad intermediate shaft/rag joint or ball joints alone would affect the steering that way: together, certainly. There are several recent threads on steering.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 02:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Brad,
Welcome to the wonderful world of ****ty Ford steering. I can't express how much of a difference changing my stock basketball hoop size of a steering wheel for a smaller Grant steering wheel meant. You can pick one up at auto zone for like thirty or fourty bucks. It really helps alot.
-mike

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 05:17 PM
Mud in my Veins

I don't know if this applies to fords, but whomever installed the grant on my brother's toyota didn't do something right because it squeaks like mad! So annoying, and wd40 doesn't help.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah, on top of that everytime I turn the keys collide with the steering wheel and make an irritating "dinging" noise. When I four wheel it sounds like the unfinished symphony being played on the London church bells [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
-mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2001, 07:27 PM

Brad

The guys are right, fix what's ailing the truck and thank the good lord your PS is still working and not leaking. I know where you're coming from. Three years ago, just before taking the Eddie Bauer into the Arctic I had to move my sister 250 miles down a 4 lane highway.

My rear springs were shot, my drag link was twisted and I was on near bald 235/75/15s. Talk about a hair raising cruise, with the front end already pointing towards the sky. Anything over 65 mph and the thing was all over the road ! 80 mph was like taking your life, and her possessions, into your hands.

Now with a new drag link, alignment, rear springs, shocks and 275/60/15s I cruise smoothly down the highway at over 80 mph with no troubles, and up until that carden joint started to go again, no vibration.

See the loans officer and mortgage something and give the beast the parts she wants, or you'll have to sell up and get a bus pass.

Malcolm

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 02:23 AM
abrrox

Thanks guys - again. Always the right place to come when I need some help.

But a bus pass?!?! That'll be the day. Fortunately, spring should be here soon so I can pull out the old 5.0, as I priced an intermediate shaft and Ford wants CDN$280! (US$200)! That's criminal. Anyone know where I can get something non-Ford for 1/2 price?

She's a great truck - every last pound of her - but I can't afford that just right now.

Thanks again to all.

Brad

post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 07:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Intermediate shaft

I've got a nice one from an 88 F-150 with a PERFECT rag joint you can have for US$15+shipping from 38118. I'll see about putting a pic online.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 10:13 PM
abrrox

Re: Intermediate shaft

Wow! Forget it. I take it'll fit as there is only one kind of shaft for that year? I'll take it. That's fantastic news! Just let me know how to get in touch with you. You can e-mail me at [email protected]

Thanks a whole bunch!!!

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode