popping noise when turning - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 12:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

popping noise when turning

Hello everyone,
When driving my 95 Bronco EB 5.8 351 31x10.5 (stock), there is a popping noise when ever I make a turn. If I shake the truck from side to side using the tire mount I can also hear this popping sound. It seems to be coming from the rear passenger side. I noticed one of the rubber bushings on the exhaust is missing, but it does not seem to have enough play in it to knock around. Does this happen with anyone elses Bronco? Does anyone know what this could be?
Thank You in advance,
pompy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-01-2001, 07:23 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: popping noise when turning

Look at the shock and sway-bar bushings. And see if your e-brake cable or something else is interfering with the rear suspension.

Does it pop once per turn, or does it pop continuously during the turn? Does it pop faster if you're going faster? Does it pop only in sharp turns, or also in a slight turn? Does it shake the truck, too, or just make the sound? If yes, unlock your front hubs; the u-joints are binding.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-02-2001, 09:00 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve
I have not checked the shock and sway-bar bushings or the e-cable, but I will. It pops once per turn, pops faster when traveling faster, pops both at sharp and slight turns and it does give a little shake to the truck. I will try and get it on the lift this weekend, may be the time to go with manual hubs. I will post the results.
Thank You Very Much For The Information
Ken

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 03:11 PM
Mud in my Veins

Manual hub conversion

I know there was a thread that dealt with this more, but I can't find it to reply to it.

I found this at the Jeg's site. It's the superwinch hub conversion kit for less than $100 and they don't charge shipping or tax!

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2001, 05:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I put Warn preminums on my bronco. The total cost was around $100 for the hubs and the conversion kit from 4wheel discount. You will need a large wheel bearing retainer socket to remove the current wheel bearing retainer and a 4 prong socket to replace the new ones. You can purchase both of these from the zone or any other auto parts. (Sorry Steve83 but if it is not going to be on the truck, I am not going to pay more..I am like you though, I won't buy any autoparts that will effect my safety, so I don't purchase anything critical from the zone. Just think,If an Exploder will flip with a tire seperation just think what a Bronco might do if say the front wheel were to come unglued.) If you need further help, there are several post on this BBS that explain the procedure further. Good luck. BTW this is a easy swap and while you are at it you may want to repack and replace (if necessary) the wheel bearings while you are in there.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2001, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Possibly broken spider gears in the rear-end, do you have a limited slip diff. ? That would explain why the truck shakes when you hear the sound but it should not make noise when the tires are not rotating.

John S.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-12-2001, 09:57 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I still have not been able to get the truck on the lift, not even to the garage, hopefully Tuesday night. I am not sure if it has limited slip, I think it does. My first concern was the rear-end. I purchased the Bronco at the end of 1997 and it made the noise, now it is getting worst. Even driving over small bumps or off a curb it will make this noise. You can feel a small "kick" when it happens. Strange, even when in park and I shake the truck side to side or jump up and down on the bumper you can hear this sound. I will check everything that all of you have posted and will let you know the results. I have a nice check list to go by thanks to all of you.
Thanks Again For The Info.
Ken P.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode