AGR Power Steering Pump - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 12:35 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AGR Power Steering Pump

Has anyone used the (90-95) AGR Power Steering Pump? I'd like to know what you thought of it. Thanks for any info.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 01:06 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: AGR Power Steering Pump

I've heard nothing but good things about it. Anything better than that, and you might as well go with a hydro sys. So, it's really the best you can do, (and not that much more expensive than a remaned one from the parts store.)
Also, you should replace the steering box to match the pump. AGR makes the box, and it's somewhat stronger than a stock one.
A superlift steering system (about four bills) and a flaming river steering shaft (about two) would complete any steering woes no matter what size tires you were running.
-mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 10:46 AM
Enthusiast

Ive heard the super lift super runner steering has alittle issue with the ball joints going bad in about a year and not worth the money...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 02:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Interesting....my friend Jason has a 86 Bronco with 39's with Superlifts steering setup for about four years, and swears by it. He also bought their radius arms too, but I hated driving his truck because they limited the turning radius dramatically even though the manufaturer claims otherwise. (Thats why I've yet to buy some, and opted to use the spacers.)
-mike

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the previous responses. One more question, does the AGR pump squeal like the stock ones do?

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 06:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Haha, noooo. Not from what I have heard. But it also depends on what your squealing is coming from, whether it be from a bad belt, etc. I am sure, though, that it would probably sqeal if you had it a full lock, and kept on cranking the wheel.
Also, an improvement that I made on my truck was get a Grant steering wheel. It has made a huuuuge difference on the input that you have to constantly give when you are running 39's.
zakt-who is your source of info??
-mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 06:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, here is the deal. I have a 1970 Bronco, and I am putting in a 5.8L from a 94 Bronco (that's why I posted the speed density to mass ait thread also). I am planning on using the pump that is on there and hooking it up to my 79 F150 gearbox. I know my friends like to run the canned ham style pump from AGR on the older 302/351 bracketry and everyone swears by that pump. I don't want to screw with the serpentine system, so I want to possibly get one of these AGR pumps, if and when the OEM pump on there goes out. I know both of the pumps in my parents econolines (theirs sometimes squeal/whine when you turn lock-to-lock) have held up well, but they don't push around 33's on trails, like I will be. I just wanted to know if AGR makes these newer style pumps as strong as the saginaw/canned ham style pumps they make.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 03:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have been running the AGR steering pump for a little over a year now. It has performed flawlessly. It is the Ford pump that they sell and is quieter than my factory one was. Puts out 3.4 GPM @ 1500 psi which is more than double a factory pump. Later, I added the AGR box with a fluid cooler and filter. Things are a night and day difference compared to origional setup. You do have to run Valvoline Syntec Power Steerng Fluid. Anything else, voids the warranty. No red stuff. This keeps the viton seals from burning out. Love the setup. You can see the install at:

http://www.users.qwest.net/~ejtachel...g/Steering.htm

Eric

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2001, 08:03 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Valvoline?

Is there ANY other synthetic fluid that's acceptable?
What are the costs for the pump, the box, the cooler, the filter setup, and a quart of the fluid? I'm on the verge of having to replace my whole setup and if this isn't TOO outrageous, I'd try it.

BTW What are the specs on the original pump, and is the new pump (and fuid) compatible with hydraulic winches?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #10 of (permalink) Old 02-06-2001, 10:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Valvoline?

Valvoline is what AGR recomends and warranties. I didn't want to cross that line. That is what they use for testing and manufacturing. I just went with it, but another synthetic should work. Make sure it is not red, they will not warranty it. The factory pump puts out just under 1.5 GPM @1500 psi on a good day. The AGR more than doubles that everday.

I got the pump directly from AGR at $129 (This included core charge) plus $20 shipping.

I got the box from 4 Wheel Parts for $272 including shipping. No core was needed. AGR Recommended I buy from them, said it was cheaper and it was.

Magnafine Filter $32.15 including shipping. Bought directly from company. http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

6 Row Cooler $29 from Summit Racing. There is a small shipping/handling Charge.

Local parts store sells the fluid for $3.29 a quart. If you don't replace everything, you have to flush out the old and that gets expensive.

Don't forget to ad a little extra for hose clamps and return line. I needed more than what was supplied.

This setup works wonders for the MileMarker hydraulic winch, according to MileMarker. I called and verified because I planned for the 10,500lb.2 speed setup they have.

The part number on the Summit cooler wasn't readily avaliable to me. If you want it, let me know and I'll dig it up at home.

Eric

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode