12 point VS. 6 point sockets - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 10:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

12 point VS. 6 point sockets

I just got a 101 piece Craftsman socket set. Half of the sockets are 6 point, and the other half (repeating the same size sockets) are 12 point.
I was just wondering what the advantages of each type of socket are. Is one better then the other in certain situations?
Thanks for your time.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 12 point VS. 6 point sockets

12 point is much more likely to round off the bolt.
6 point, it is a little more likely to break the socket.

For small (low torque) harder to reach bolts a 12 point is a little easier to get on. For bigger high torque bolts 6 point is better.

Some Fords attach the driveshaft to the diff with 12 point bolts. Quite odd don't you think?

The problem with the craftsman sets is they don't give you many 1/2" sockets. Save youself the hassle and a full set of 1/2" sockets, 6 point. I've broken many 3/8" sockets and ratchets, but only one or two 1/2". There is no bigger hassle than having to stop in the middle of what you are doing and get a new socket.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.bernie.4t.com
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:06 PM
Mud in my Veins

I find 12's are more likely to break. But their advantage is only noticeable when using any driver OTHER THAN a ratchet. They let you set your breaker bar closer to the angle you want to apply max torque. (...and they're also handy on 12-point bolt heads.) The reason for 12-point heads is that you can apply more torque without stripping - kinda like 31-spline axles are better than 28's.

BTW I've built up my set by buying Craftsman tools at pawn shops - they're about 1/3 the price. And if you think it's somehow immoral to return a tool to Sears you didn't buy there, it's not: someone bought it there and paid for that lifetime warranty, so there's no reason not to use it!

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for clearing that up for me guys.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 10:29 AM

Broncoman

There is also another out of date reason why 12 points are made. Many years ago square bolts and nuts were more prevalent than they are today. You'll still find them on lawn machinery and set bolts everywhere. 12 points tend to fit these too.

As it was already mentioned 12 points are easier to slip on and when your ratchet is in a tight area, you've got more angle choices than 6 point. When it comes to cars and imports and small stuff 12 points are pretty useful. Now that you've got a big toy (your Bronco) you'll find 1/2" drive 6 points will be your tool of choice. Especially if your have a 24" flex bar which allows you to put some real torque on things.

When I'm loosening frame stuff on my old Ford, I use 1/2" drive 6 point impact sockets which are even tougher as even though Sears will take them back, it's another drive once you break it.

Pawn shops is a good idea, I scout flea markets too for all the 1/4" drive stuff that seems to vapourize or walk away every time I open my Craftsmen set.

Malcolm

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode