1100 mile trip - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

1100 mile trip

I'm in VA and I wanna visit some of my relatives that are in Lantana Beach, FLA sometime in MArch. I have a Broco II 1990 with approx 74,300 miles on it (not rolled over miles). My friends keep telling me it wouldn't be wise to attempt to take my baby on such a trip, but I don't see why not.

Do you guys have any advice on what route to take? If I do take my truck what precautions should I take for the journey? Thanks a bunch for your time.

NAE
"Another semester. Another chance to lose my mind."

Respec'
DeICQLAdy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:39 PM

Re: 1100 mile trip

Start with the simple things

Check all the fluids, hoses and belt/s or have an oil change place do it, as they usually will include differential top ups, etc for one low price. Make sure the plugs are recent and the thing's been tuned up in the last year. Then get the oil and filter changed a couple of days before you go on the trip. If they forget to tighten the filter or drain plug, it'll show before you head out onto the interstate.

Older motors often really loosen up on a long, high speed jaunt and start to build up some crankcase pressure because of blowby, so do the following for sure. Check and change (if required) not only the air filter, but the PCV valve and the oil breather filter. Both these items are 2 or 3 bucks each and easily reached because they're at the top of the engine. This will let the build up of crankcase fumes vent properly into your air cleaner where you'll get the added bonus of re-using the fuel laden fumes back into your motor, and you'll be doing your part for North America's emissions problem.

If you don't, and these were close to blocked, this high rpm trip might be just what it takes to blow the valve cover gaskets or other seals in the truck and then you'll have an oil leak to contend with. Go to Walmart and get these two small items, and if you don't want to change them yourself, ask the guys at the oil change place if they'd do it for you.

Sounds like you're a student, so this might hurt but try to stick to a better grade of gas than you normally use for the whole trip, there and back. This usually will reward you with a couple of miles per gallon better than you'd normally get and your engine will run a better at high speed.

Fill your tires right to the maximum pressure recommended on the side of the tires. This will also add a mile or two per gallon, in some cases, on a long trip and will make sure they don't wear from under inflation. While you're at it fill the spare up too and make sure nobody made off with your jack and tire iron, since last blow out.

Lastly check all signals and bulbs. You don't want people not knowing you're going to change into their lane at 80 mph or worse yet, some bored cop nailing you with a fine in the middle of nowhere U.S.A.

The most important things to bring along are; your cel phone, AreoVisa, lots of CDs, non-alcoholic beverages windshield fluid and cold weather gear in care you're hoofin' it to a gas station.

Bon voyage

Malcolm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 02:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is no reason that a truck with only 73k original miles should not be capable of such a trip. My 82 Bronco with either 115 or 215k miles does these trips, and tows a boat or car trailer. One hint, your truck was built before the speed limits went back up to 70, so you might not want to run flat out at 70 or 75+ all the way. Do all the tune up stuff, hose and belt stuff, etc, a couple weeks before leaving, so that everything is settled in before you leave.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:49 PM
Mud in my Veins

I usually check yahoo Maps to see what route it reccommends. It's usually the quickest, if not the shortest, and it is very detailed. If you sign up, you can store locations and get routes between any 2.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 11:54 AM

DelCQLady

just read a tee shirt joke that applied in your case; " a journey of a thousand miles begins with a cash withdrawl"

Loved it

Malcolm

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 04:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A couple of things the other guys didn't cover are carry some extra oil, brake fluid, and anti freeze.
Also a little tip is don't eat to much when you stop for food if you are a little hungry it helps you stay awake.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-31-2001, 08:21 PM
dawgghanson

Use a map and leave a copy of your route with family. Don't stray!
Have AAA?
Good luck and enjoy the trip!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode