What brand shocks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 10:11 AM
racemedic

What brand shocks?

Just wanted to know what brand shocks some of you use and how you like them.
I am going to install new shocks and I am looking for some input.
Thanks
Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 11:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

CarQuest Bruiser Gas XD

They're lifetime 2" $35 shocks and they work.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 02:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What brand shocks?

I have 4 Rancho 5000's on front and 2 Sears HD's on the back, wishing I had Rancho's. All new last year. The Rancho's seem stiffer than the Sears. I only got them because the old ones died on a 600 mile boat towing trip.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 11:14 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: CarQuest Bruiser Gas XD

How do I go about ordering shocks for a lifted vehicle? Is there some measurement that I'll need when I order them? I think these Skyjacker shocks have bit the dust because my truck is riding rough right now.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:15 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: CarQuest Bruiser Gas XD

I'm running 4 Pro Comps that came with my 6" lift. No problems with them yet, but I plan on switching to Edelbrock's new ones when I redo my suspension.

Muddy, I think you just have to tell whoever sells the shocks that your truck has a ____ inch suspension lift, and they will add those inches to the original length of the shocks.
-mike

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: What brand shocks?

I use doubled up Bilstein 7100s on the front of my truck and single 5100's on the rear. My Bronco has 5100's all around.

What you want in shocks depends on what you do and how much you want to spend. Based upon your profile, you probably don't do a lot of rock crawling or mudding. Their needs are different from those of us that run around the socal and mexican desert. We need a valving that is lighter on the rebound than they use. This is because going down dirt roads at speed if you have too much rebound stiffness the suspension will "load up" because it can't rebound properly from bumps and the next bump you hit will send you flying.

Of course, if most of your time is spent on the street, or going slow through rocks & mud, that isn't a problem.

You also have to remember that if you take out the specialty manufacturers (Bilstein, Fox, King, SAW)there are only a couple of true shock manufacturers. (KInd of like tires.) So, if you want to stay under $50 each, go with a gas charged from whoever gives you the best price. They're all pretty much the same.

I like the 5100s for desert use, but I'd go with rebuildable custom shocks if I could afford it. The edelbrocks might also be good but I have no personal experience with them.

Good luck, geo.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode