Engine Dies... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 12:59 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Engine Dies...

Just wondering about why my friends 87 bronco w/ 302 and Fuel Injected dies whenever it is shifted into reverse? Every single time.. warm or cold? Whats the deal

<font color=blue> Muddynut </font color=blue>
<font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] 78 CJ7 "Issues" </font color=red>[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 05:33 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Engine Dies...

How about a little more info? Does it just quit? or sputter and die. From what you're saying your pal can NEVER back up.......is this the case? This would be a strange one.....it would be apparent that some electrical connection is strained when in reverse ...but I can't imagine it only happening in reverse if you have an intermitent open wire.....maybe if the motor mount was shot AND you had a problem wire that was only stressed in that direction.

I'd try and simulate a reverse condition with the wiring. That is, stress all the connections while it's just sitting there idling. When it dies .....your home. If it's an electronic sensor wire that is somehow opened when you put it into reverse then a "wiggle test" will find the offending connection. This was the case with my 86 Tempo. It would buck for no good reason any time it felt like it. It finally quit on us. We had it towed to the dealer and they just threw it on the code machine and replaced the temp sensor. I drove it to the gas station and immediately had trouble. I cancelled payment on the check and took it to my moms mech. He was a "premier" private shop and had all the toys to find out what it was. I left it with him and said drive it around until you find it. He hooked it up to his Sun Interigater and proformed the "wiggle test" and found the offending connection (it beeps when you've found an intermittent open)..repaired it..yadayada. Along with being a premier shop came premier prices (although he did get my mom's Citation to turn the odometer TWICE...so was he that expensive?) and the tab was $200+ for 4 plugs and his diagnostic expertice (1990 $$).
Unless there is some electronic "black magic" going on here I would start just wiggling the wires where they go from the engine to the body.

Good luck!
GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-28-2001, 08:44 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Engine Dies...

Have the codes been read? And what transmission does it have? Could it be the transmission locking up and killing the engine? Is the idle rough or low? Check the Idle Air Control valve. When the problem begin? After some electrical work? After a collision? Does it matter if he revs the engine while shifting, or does it die no matter what?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode