She's a driver now boys! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 06:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

She\'s a driver now boys!

But first a word of criticism: You guys write too much. How am I supposed to be out getting my fingernails dirty if I'm in here readin' 50 posts a day[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]. Anyway, passed the first major milestone. Got her safety inspected today and she's street legal. May not sound like much to you, but she was a wreck--still is sorta. I'll be coming back for more help soon. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 10:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: She\'s a driver now boys!

It's cool that yours has the inline 6...a friend has a 80 with that and it reminds me of a diesel for some reason. (sound and lack of hp, but good torque, probably) I like it because he can lock it into 4 lo, pop it in first gear, and start up a hill and climb into the back and it will drive up the hill all by itself. Next to transformers blowing up at night, it's the neatest thing I've seen in awhile. Anyway, point is I think you'll enjoy that I6 off road. Good luck and get back to us with questions/comments/pictures.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the mental image there Muddy! I'll be carrying a visual of me sitting in the back w/a cuppa coffee while she's drivin' herself up a hill[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]. My last truck was a diesel. '88 suburban, but no 4x4 and too much body rot to keep. Loved that engine though. Hmmm has anybody squeezed a powerstroke under the hood of a bronco yet?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 04:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I would give 50,000 dollars for a bronco with a new powerstroke under teh hood. I mean 50,000 DOLLARS!!!!! So if ya can't tell, I want one. The fullsize K5 from chevy had the 6.2 liter diesel, once again FORD didnt compete that. Why not????

Mooseykat
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 06:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey, I have a guy at work that says he has put a powerstroke in a 85 F150, so in my calculations it should be the exact same fit in a Bronco? He isn't the most reliable source, but I think that the technology is here.
I would like to see the end product of that too.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 08:25 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Powerstroke Bronco

I've investigated that swap - it's definitely do-able. But the price of a wreck with a good running Powerstroke and wiring is beyond the financial reach of the typical engine swapper. The key is getting ALL of the engine, engine compartment, & dash wiring harnesses and then grafting them into the Bronco. It would be really easy with a Bronco from the same era as the donor (preferrably '92-95), but not many people with Broncos that young want to swap engines. And with diesel prices bouncing above gas, it makes it that much less desirable. **ALSO You'd HAVE to swap to a heavier front suspension!**

I think the reason Ford didn't offer a diesel in the Expedition is that it's not a work truck - it's a station wagon on a light truck chassis. It wouldn't sell. They are having a hard enough time getting rid of the Excursions, and they ARE on a heavy-duty chassis.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode