spare tire carrier - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

spare tire carrier

can a swing away tire carrier be mounted on an 84 xlt. if so what do I need to mount one. Also what is the biggest tire size that fits without a lift. I have leafs in the rear and coil front stock. and how do i find out what tranny tcase and diffs I have.any help is greatly apreciated

84 xlt 31x10.5 351w

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-22-2001, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: spare tire carrier

1) Yeap, one can be mounted.

2) 33's, depending on the backspacing of your rims. If you have stock rims a 32 would probably be your best bet.

cmg
1989, 351, C6, 15x10's and 31's
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 08:14 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You need to check the 1/4 panel, and see if you have a place to mount it. There are reinforced threaded holes on a carrier equipped Bronco. I don't know if a non (originally) equipped Bronco has the same reinforcements behind the 1/4 panel. All you may need to do is find the location to drill out the panel, and tap the extra reinforcing material.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-23-2001, 05:53 PM
Mud in my Veins

Yes. You have to get the nut plate (from a junkyard or dealer) and slip it into the hole for your taillight. Then figure out (maybe by making a template at the junkyard) exactly where to drill so the bolts will line up with the nuts. Now the hard part.

You have to get the catch reinforcement plate that goes inside the tailgate, and install it behind the motor bracket. Locating THOSE nuts to drill thru the t/g skin makes the others seem easy. I put a 90-degree awl in the nuts after the plate was mounted and pushed until I got a dimple in the sheet metal I could see from outside.

Then, just bolt on the swingaway and the catch.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 04:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Pull the tail light out and see if there is the support bracket. I added one to my 88, but it was abit of work. Well worth it though.

The "nut backing plate" in 88 is about 8 inches taller than the tail light so it won't fit in whole. Mebbe its different in earlier years, but in 87+ they are welded in, so getting one from a junkyard isn't too feasible.

I was able to order the support from the dealer. Look under replacement body parts. It took the dealer a couple of tries on the order to get it right.

Anyway, it was too big to fit inside the quarter panel (sound of homer simpson saying "doaah" ) so I cut it in 2 pieces and stuffed it in that way. I glued it in place using body sealant and drilled small holes to line things up, then drilled larger holes that matched the size of the bolts.

I got a used swing away carrier from a wrecking yard (about $125). and the rest was easy. The piece inside the tailgate I was able to get from the wrecker, but it was one of the things that showed up in the special order so I kept it

When you look for a carrier, keep in mind the corners of the vary depending on which body style (78-79, 80-86,87+) . I think 80-86 all have the same corners. Good luck, be sure to seal all of the holes with flexible weather stripping sealant (not silicon) to avoid leaks and rust.

Cheers,

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-25-2001, 06:00 PM

I keep my spare tire on with a leather belt. It goes all the way around the spare and you cinch it up with the buckle and a loop holds the extra leather. Sometimes though, when I sit down after a really big meal, I have to slaken the belt and let that uniroyal just hang over the belt. here's nothing I can do. The spare seems to swell after holidays and beer season too.

All kidding aside I put a 31" spare on the stock 86 tire carrier with no trouble and it looked like it could have taken wider.

Wishing everyone good luck with getting their spare tires back over their belts

Malcolm

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-26-2001, 01:03 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hahaha!!! Damn Malcom, you and those leather belts!!! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
-mike

post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2001, 10:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New spare tire carrier ?

I wanted to revive this thread to ask about the rattles from my swing-away spare tire carrier. As far as I can tell everything is there, but there doesn't seem to be any kind of adjustment. I thought maybe if there was a big spring that got compressed when the carrier closed it might soften up some of the rattles. Anybody have ideas on this?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 06:57 AM
Veteran

Re: New spare tire carrier ?

I cut a piece of rubber about 3 inches wide and wrapped it around the bar where it catches the latch and fastened it with 2 hose clamps.(stopped mine from rattling)[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2001, 05:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

ME too Malcom, me too, But anyway I have 33's all the way around- including on the stock tire carrier, the wheels are after market 15x10's, because the 33's are 12.5 wide.

Tom

beeep, beeep, beeep, CRUNCH,- DAMNITT ANOTHER RICE BURNER CRUSHED- darn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode