Computers or no Computers? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 04:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Computers or no Computers?

I have a 1987 Bronco with a carbed 351. This was the last year that the Broncos didnt have any kind of computers or sensors and came with a carb. When I was looking to buy a Bronco, I was looking for this exact year and model just for that reason.

Anyway, I was just wondering what you guys think. Do you like the later model Broncos (after 87) with all their computers and sensors, or do you like the earlyer ones without it. If you have a Chiltons for 87-96 Broncos, look at 87's wiring diagram Vs. the others. 87 doesnt have anywhere near the amount of wires the others have. I just think this makes it much easyer to understand and work on the engine, plus there are no sensors or computers to break.
I could be (and probably am) totaly wrong for liking the 87 version more then the later ones, so I just wanted to see what you guys think.
Thanks.
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-21-2001, 09:32 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Computers or no Computers?

I fought with the carb on my truck from the day I bought it to the day I replaced it with EFI. I'll never go back. EFI is SOOOOOOO much easier! ...to understand, to maintain, to diagnose, to fix, to find parts, to drive, to get serviced, ...

And some carbed '87s do have an EEC. If you look under the seat or inside the middle of the dash, you MAY find one in your truck.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 01:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry I took so long to get back,
Yeah, I heard many diffrent arguments about carbed VS EFI and I guess they each have their own pros and cons. You know the old saying "My truck was running good so I messed with the carb to get it to run better, now it wont run at all".

But what do you think about the old design VS the newer one with all the computers and sensors? Do all the newer electronics make them run more efficiently?
Thanks,
Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 04:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Bottom line for me is even after I haev put on a new Edlebrock carb I still want EFI!!!!!! All I know is that guys who are great mechanics are alwys telling me to get my choke readjusted for winter and summer drivng. That is not a good thing to have to do just to get around!!! EFI is start and go. So what if injectors can go out, or whatver, after cold winter mornings, waiting for the truck to WARM up adn low rpm stalls, I want EFI!!!!!!! No doubt about it.

Mooseykat
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 04:21 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I'll throw my $0.2 in it. After having many carb and injected vehicles over the past 25 years I'll go for the high tech computer driven injected versions over the carbed anyday. It is truly a trade off in some ways. A carbed version is not prone to "catastrophic" failure......it just decays to an intollerable state before you do anything about it. Most carbed engines (of the latest years and seemingly FORDS) have sophisticated vacuum systems that are prone to fialure while injected engines tend to be maintenance free except for the routine stuff. The most you have to worry about with an injected motor is plugs, wires, cap and rotor (rare items), and your filter(s) and oil changes. Yes they cost more to fix if you need a service tech to plug in a machine once every two or so years......but that is nothing compared to what the system has saved you in poor fuel economy and drivability issues you have to deal with with a carbed motor. My son's 83 302 was a rolling fuel leak until the carb was rebuilt and still took much PITA tweaking to set the choke (and replace the electric heater) and such. We're considering a fuelie mod if we stumble across an 89-93 302 in the junk yard.

GeeAea

Figures don't lie ....... but liars sure do figure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hell yeah,
Pretty soon I will be tossing my Edel 750 and RPM intake for a sweet computer and fuel injector sung melody.
-mike

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 07:34 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: EFI conversion

Why did you pick those years?? That's exactly the range I'd say to avoid. Ford used 2 fuel pumps and a variety of tank selector valves/reservoirs up till 91. In 92, they went to an in-tank pump with an integral return valve that eliminated everything between the tank and the injectors except the filter. I'd reccommend 92-95 - most 96's are OBD2 computers which aren't as easy to pull codes from.

BTW My carbs have always failed catastrophically.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-29-2001, 11:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, I guess I'm alone on this one. I've had my Edelbrock 600 CFM carb for 5 years and never had any kind of problem with it. Once a year I pull it off the intake and spray the s#!t out of it with carb cleaner. Maybe Im just afraid of changes and afraid of what I dont know about (EFI). Like I said before, I also love the way my engine has no electronics, computers, sensors, or tons of wires running across it. It just makes it easy to understand.

Broncosaurus: If your realy getting rid of your carb and intake, please let me know. Thanks.
Tom

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:36 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: EFI conversion

Steve,

Perhaps it's because you bought a 95 motor instead of converting a carb 302...but the 88-92 fuel injection is supposed the fuel injection of choice. From what you say the late model tank/fuel pump configurations would seem the better choice for that part of the package.

check this out and tell me what you think(look for Coby's posts): http://bbs.off-road.com/wwwthreads//...collapsed&sb=5 ......any thoughts?

Again it may be just a cost factor. I would think the older fuelies would be more abundant and hopefully cheaper.

GeeAea

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-30-2001, 12:57 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Tom,

I'm sure you're doing fine.....with a five year old carb......try 18 (my son's 83)!!! I'm sure it was reliable and trouble free for probably 10 years. You're right though .....the change was hard for me when I had my first "common" injected vehicle (my 78 BMW 320i did nicely- pre wife/kids [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]). The little recalls and glitches and helpless feelings one gets from having virtually NO command of the thing....... but as the american auto manufacturing became somewhat more reliable and the nation turned over to 70%+ electronic/fuel injected we soon took turning that key without pumping the gas on a cold frosty sub freezing morning for granted and it now seems somewhat "retro" to use such a crude fuel atomization system. Never having to adjust the idle or the timing (in most cases) or the choke.....

and beside all that ....it's a hell of alot easier to pass emissions inspection!

GeeAea

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode