Mission: What Year Is It? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mission: What Year Is It?

I Posted a few days ago looking for some help finding the VIN on the engine block of my 4.9L. Since that may not be possible (one Ford tech says 'Its on a decal on the valve cover.' -- and if that was there would I be askin? Another said 'They're not stamped. All the 300's are same.') So I'm giving up on the block.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to help me identify the distinguishing characteristics that would nail down the year of my 300. What I know so far:
1- Voltage regulator on the fender wall (80-83?)
2- If I'm correctly judging from the shape of the coil and the distributor, TFI-IV ignition. Does anybody know what year this started?
3- I think I read somewhere about an O2 sensor starting around 84-85. It's there.

Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks for sticking with me as I went back over this.

Doug
This post will self destruct in 15 seconds, 14..13..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2001, 09:35 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Mission: What Year Is It?

Every engine block has a serial number. And there's a casting number on it somewhere that has a date code. Go to some junkyards or machine shops and look at some that are out and apart.

Also, there should be a tag on the carb, and other part numbers molded, cast, stamped, inked, or labelled on everything. A decent Ford parts guy should be able to decipher them and come up with a year for the engine.

The external VR doesn't mean much, since the accessories (like the alt) don't necessarily match the engine. And you can't be sure about the engine wiring and vacuum harnesses, either. Even from one 84 Bronco 300 to the next on the assembly line, the harnesses can differ widely.

It sounds like this engine has been assembled from MANY years' parts. I'd suggest that, at this point, it really doesn't matter - if you're gonna make everything work, you'll have to dig in and go for it - read all of each chapter on fuel, exhaust, ignition, emission control, and engine electrical systems in the trusty Haynes. If you're gonna toss the whole mess and do it right yourself, read the whole manual.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode