Off Roading Forums banner

Distributors-blueprint or new?

519 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  slickerthanyou 
#1 ·
I am taking the 302 out and putting a 351w in . Its from a 96' F350. I have a '90 bronco and no mass air. besides that I noticed the distributor is different its a duraspark 3, which my '90 harness will not fit because there is no ignition module on it so I need to buy a distributor for a 1990 351W. Are the aftermarket ones drop-ins or should i get a blue-printed one from my local shop. The motor is stock except for k&n fipk, cat-back dual exhaust and, Accel ignition system w/ rev limiter (don't really know what that's used for but my buddy who is helping me put it in said it won't hurt to have it!) Anyhow Accel Has a new billet distributor out that would fit this engine for $225 and I can get a blue printed one for $175. I dont mind paying the extra but is it worth it?

Backyard Builder

#3 ·
Re: Distributors

Mine is stock, and that's what I'd reccommend. Go to the parts store and get a plain distributor that was designed by the same guys that designed the engine. I have a hard time convincing myself that the aftermarket designers have invented new distributor technology - I think they just come up with a different shape that will still work, but for which it's harder to get replacement parts and tune-up specs.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15

G
#4 ·
Re: Distributors

slicker,
yeah, I've got a the complete msd system. (dist, ign, coil, wires) I suggest that if you do change the ignition, you should not leave the distributor stock. You don't necessarily want to mismatch electrical parts if you decide to go all out on it. Now, on my mustang, I have an msd ignition with a blueprinted motorcraft distributor. But, the reason that I went that route is because of the cash thing. But, I have never ever ever had any problems with the combination. If I were you, I would save the hundred bucks by getting it blueprinted, and throw it in for a cheap set of headers. Unless, you decide to go all out on your engine in the future, (heads, cam, ect) that would be the only reason in my book to spend the extra cash.
-mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.