Getting the Bronco ready for off-roading - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Getting the Bronco ready for off-roading

Well, I did finally buy another Bronco, well 2 actually. I was wondering what you think I should do to it to make it off-road ready this winter. Anything and everthing from shocks and liftkits to new axle's and drivetrains. Whats your opinion for a good off-roading mod's? I dont really want to get to crazy with gearing it down, and big ol' tires larger then the truck, because it will be a daily driver also. I dont want gas mileage to kill me either, if that is possible with a 351. By the way, this one in a '92 XLT 351. Thanks

Sean Heberly
'85 Bronco 5.8L 4-V XLT: 266K still strong. Winter Truck now.
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT: 4.9L Caddy NorthStar Engine, 11.6 QM @ 107.1 MPH, Poly Susp, KONI's all around, 2 1/2" drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Getting the Bronco ready for off-roading

First of all before you get anything have the truck runnin strong. Change out all fluids, filters and get her doen nice. Then get ya a detroit locker in the front, a lock right or power trax in the front, slap a small 4 inch lift, 33 inch swamper radials not ssr's, throw on a heavy KM wincher bumper, a 12,000 warn, and go anywhere you want. Those are just the base things id do if i had the money. And of course 4 inch and 33's are only cause its a daily driver!

Mooseykat
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:09 PM
Mud in my Veins

No, no, no! He needs a TrueTrac in front, a Detroit in back, no lift, 32-11.50 Dueller MT's, a RAMSEY worm-drive RE12000RX, a bumper like mine to hold it, a ZF tranny, a PTO generator, a turbo, and an ejection seat (just in case!-)

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:14 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

mooseykat
how much is the winch bumper you are talking about? i am looking for one for my bronco and am trying to decide wether or not it is worth the money. how does it look? i am also thinking about making a plate that will go into the reciever hitch but i am not sure what i am going to do yet

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:38 PM
Mud in my Veins

I second the notion of keeping the lift to a minimum. i have 6" and it's more than I"d like to drive around every day. 3" body lift and 33x12.5's would be how I would do it all over again, just to keep it a little closer to mother earth. I can't speak on lockers but i really like my factory limited slip, although I think the clutches are getting pretty worn. A winch is good because you can winch chevy's out of holes without putting strain on your drivetrain...my auto tranny was out of commission for 2 weeks after i pulled out a chevy and dragged it around while he tried to clutch-start his truck. But as usual it fixed itself one morning and I haven't had a problem since. Oh yeah, and make sure if you're gonna be in water to extend your breather lines and move your air intake. Good luck and have fun.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

MuddyBronco, you really think putting a body lift on is a wise idea? I want to lift mine, however with the college thing going on right now....funds are limited. And where can I find a complete kit to do so?

Ignore me,
cmg

1989, 351, C6, 15x10's and 31's
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

First real quick before work im answering everyones questions. The Kennesaw mountain wincher bumper is heavy heavy duty adn is all 1/4 inch steel and it hold a 12,000 lb warn easily. It is all blacka dn looks very rugged. Their servive is very shady though, some good reports some bad. When i called they were very helpful About the reciever plate, I wouldnt mount a reciever mounted winch on a bronco as they weigh around 5800 to 6200 lbs and those mounts are only good on winches up to 8500 lbs or so. But it depends on how bad you think you'll be stuck as to whether or nto you need a 12,000 but you will say i wish i would have gotten a bigger winch before you say this 12,000 is too much! On the body lift and 33's. lets be honest here. If your not doing hard core rockcrawling adn its nto a 8 inch body lift!!! I think you will be just fine, use grade 8 hardware and go no bigger than 3 inch. I haev offroaded a modified Bronco 2 wiht a 3 inch body and haev not only tore the tranny out of it and raced up hills, through mud and up creeks and the body lift was just fine. Remember if tis a daily driver a body lift might be the way to go but there are some mods you may haev to make when putting it on suck as e brake, adn unsightly bumper placement.. Good luck and any mroe questions just fire away.

Mooseykat
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 05:35 PM
Old Hand

If you wanted to run 33's you could get a cheap suspension lift by using 2" leveling coils and add a leaf, I did it to my truck and got 2" of lift for about $180.

John

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 10:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Where can I find a complete kit?

I've looked and looked and for some reason, none of the kits I've found include the bumper brackets?

WHat about radiator hoses, steering linkage..etc?

cmg
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 11:41 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Where can I find a complete kit?

Nevermind, I found a kit a wrenchead for $90 plus shipping.

Still, what do I need to look out for or extend? ie. hoses? steering?

cmg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode