Getting ready to trade sides / Chevy->Ford - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:43 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Getting ready to trade sides / Chevy->Ford

I currently have a 2001 Chevy Z71 extended cab that I absolutely hate. Prior to that I had an '89 full size Blazer that I loved to death. At the time I parted with her she had 150,000+ miles and was still going strong.

My question is this: Can I expect the Bronco to hold up as well? Thinking about a 90's Bronco with 60,000-100,000 miles. I'm in AZ so rust is not a problem, any major items I should be aware of?

Thanks in advance

Mitch

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 01:20 AM
mudmonger

Re: Getting ready to trade sides / Chevy->Ford

What is it that you don't like about your new truck? All the newer Chevies have better engines than they used to and look better now, too. Comparing the Blazers (Tahoe now) to Broncos isn't really fair. Engine and tranny wise they are very similar in power and reliability. I do feel the Borg Warner t-case in the Bronco is a little stronger unit though. The Bronco also has a different type of IFS from the Chevy-it uses the Twin Traction Beam. This system has proved to be more versatile and longer lived off-road. It does well on pavement, but, can do funny things to oversized tires with the way the camber swings. The #1 thing to avoid would be "push-button engaged t-case". You would be better off with lever operated t-case, manual hubs, and 351W. I have a 302 in my 89 F-150 and am still pleased with it, but, if I had the opportunity I would get more cubes to start with. One note would be that the v-8s switched to mass air in about 95-this allows more radical upgrades to the engine without messing up the way it runs. Laters.

NUFF SAID
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 06:42 AM

Bought a 1992 bronco in 92. Its been good.
Never been in shop. Do my own tune ups, Brakes. fluids.
Its a Model - Nite, 351 W , e4od XLT, auto hubs, manual transfer case.
IF someone ticks you off it will do 112 MPH. Very stong.
A good bronco for me.
The wife drive it now.
But use the auto locking hubs or loose them.

Good luck

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] My Jeep's an ATV I can drive on the highway [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img] but it likes the dirt. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

DEnvermitch just because your in Arizona don't skip looking for rust when you buy your next rig that truck could have come from any where when your buying used.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 02:02 AM
abrrox

I'm not new to cars/trucks, driving Stangs exclusively all my life. My 88 302 Bronco has 120,000 miles on it and a compression test a few weeks back yielded 152-155 pounds on every cylinder. That's strong!

I've had a few minor problems but nothing major. Everyone I know who has a Bronco just loves them! #1 beef: not a big enough lift! Mine is 99% stock and runs like day one. The 302 is a bullet proof engine. The rest of the truck is too. I suggest you get one.

Brad
Be kind, always spay or neuter your Chev.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode