Optima ? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Optima ?

I can't believe it, but my 4-year-old $50 Wal-Mart battery is going out! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] I've only run it dead a few times [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and it seemed OK after the truck rolled over [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]. Anyway, I had long planned to replace it with an Optima Red Top, so I started shopping Monday. The lowest price was $120 from the 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers store down the street, and I was gonna pay that until I stopped at Sears just to compare.

They sell a DieHard there for $80 (Optima $120 at 4WPW) with a 100 month warranty (Optima 72) and 36 months free replacement (Optima 24). The DieHard puts out 950CCA (Optima 800) and has 120 minutes reserve capacity (Optima 120 also). **Optima specs came from the Optima website.**

This makes the Optima seem like a REALLY poor investment for those of us who don't need to mount a battery sideways, but would like warranty service in any city. Does anyone have a DieHard? Any problems? Ever have to get it replaced?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Optima ?

I have had both (actually I replaced the Die hard with an Optima a year ago). The warranty on the Die hard is cool, and they never gave me any grief about replacements (I had three in 2 years), but I just got tired of getting stranded, and having to fool around with returns. Regular lead-acid batteries do not take kindly to harsh vibrations, complete discharges, or jarring motions---all of which I subject my vehicles to. The last Die hard that I toasted was while I was out exploring ghost towns smack dab in the middle-of-nowhere Nevada while on vacation with my wife. The roads (if you can call them that) were VERY rocky, and we bounced around for 16 miles to get to the ghost town. When we got ready to leave (at dusk) I went to fire up, and got nothing. Two of the plates had broken loose, and the battery had boiled out about half of the water. The wife didn't seem to think it was as funny as I did, seeing as it was now about 10 degrees out, dark, and only coyotes for company. Luckily, another 4 wheeler passed by, and gave us a jump, but I went straight home and bought an Optima, and have never looked back. To me, the extra $40 doesn't mean sh*# when compared to being stranded. I bounce, bump, jump, and beat the sh*# out my truck now, and haven't had a single problem with the Optima. I now have them in three cars, and consider it money VERY WELL spent.

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 07:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I spent 100 bucks on a Diehard for my '66 mustang a few years ago and didn't have any problems up till the day I sold the car. Now, my bronco needed a batt when I bought it and I was short on money, so I put a Pepboy's $40.00 special in and haven't had any problem, so what am I telling you? Absolutly nothing! just a little insight!

For me a warranty is just a piece of paper to get lost, I can never find it when I need it. Ever notice at some auto parts places, when you buy something, take your name and information down? Now, when the part breaks and you go to claim your warranty they never have you on file!!

ignore me, not,
cmg

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Well, I just got through reading the entire www.optimabatteries.com website, looking for that one redeeming feature that would make the Optima worth the extra money and less warranty. What I found surprised me. They specifically exclude batteries from ANY warranty that even SHOW SIGNS OF vibration damage, whether they are actually damaged or not. They also specifically (and repeatedly) exclude Red Tops that are installed in vehicles which also "have 'after-market accessories' with amperage drain exceeding 10 amps". (That's straight from their website.) This refers to people with stereo amplifiers that put out more than about 60 Watts, and anyone with a winch! If I want a warranty, I'd have to buy the Yellow Top ($180) because my POS amp is an 80 Watt beast, and my Bosch cheapo driving lights pull almost 10A. Even with my 130A alternator, I still have to get the yellow because of my extras: "If the vehicle uses a stock or upgraded alternator and has few or no after-market accessories, the Optima Red Top Starting Battery is the appropriate choice".

I'm not dropping the extra $100.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

yea, i agree. i said screw the whole warantee worry scene, and bought a 40 dollar walmart battery, after submerging my old battery undermud. it didnt seem to work to well anymore with mud in it. Walmart puts a one year warantee on it, but for 40 dollars, i am not to worried about them honoring it.

1984 bronco = good
tree = bad
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:18 AM

Hey Steve83, I have a battery I bought for $89 at advance autoparts in pittsburgh. had it two years now, and no problems. Also I don't do too much off roading but when I did the roads I went on were lumpy and bumpy. I put the bronco on it's side one time, also It's been pretty cold here last few winters. And I used to run straight 50W oil in my crappy 302, If I didn't I wouldn't get oil pressure(but thats a long story) My wife has even run the battery dead by leaving the dome light on 4 times. I just jumpped it and it charged right up in 10 or so minutes. I would recommend it to any one has 1000cca 120min. reserve and 3year replacement warranty it's called the "ARTIC". You have helped me out sooooo many times thought I would give you some help back!!

Backyard Builder
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 08:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's probably too late, since you seem to have decided, but...I got a Sears Diehard Gold battery 4 years ago with 900 CCA. It has survived its 4th winter of extreme cold, and the vibrations produced by Southeast Michigan roads (our roads are so bad that 2 freeways around here are used as durability courses for the 2 remaining Big 3 automakers). This is my 3rd Diehard in the 23 years of driving/car owning. The first two would travel from vehicle to vehicle with me until they gave up the ghost.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 04:19 PM

I've got a Jeep and a Bronco (both with winches). They both had generic 1000 cca Meijer Batteries in them for years. These batteries cost about 70 bucks and seemed to do alright (even for winching). I got 7 years (of Detroit Roads) out of one of them. They both eventually died and I had to decide what to replace them with. I put Optimas in both of them and haven't had any problem yet. The real advantage of the Optima is it's durability (you can put a bullet in it and it won't mind). It has no acid to leak and it doesn't mind getting completely discharged like other batteries do. I think the Optima is well-worth the money if you're gonna do some wheelin' and winchin'. Otherwise, get something cheaper.

P.S.: If you know somebody in the battery business, they'll sell you one for $106.

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:08 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Jim, are you over at ATEO?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 08:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IMO, the big selling point of an optima is it won't leak if you roll your rig, which makes it great for Jeeps (he he).

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode