84 300 Project - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:47 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

84 300 Project

Hey All, I just joined the forum and I'd like to say thanks to you all for being here. There's obviously beau coup experience and information available from you all. I wish I'd spent some time here before I'd bought my project, but you've already helped to change some of my first-failure frustration back into pleasant anticipation. I'll get to some questions about my carb problems in a later post, but first things first: I suspect that I don't have the original engine. I thought I could confirm this from the VIN on the block, but I can't find it. Where is it supposed to be? (1984? 300 I6)

Thanks and I promise you'll here from me again.
Doug

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 11:16 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: 84 300 Project

Congrats on joining the few, the proud, the underpowered!-)

A quick way to tell if your truck originally came with a 300 is the 8th digit of the VIN: Y means 300ci/4.9L I6; C, 3, or 4 means 232/3.8 V6; M, E, or F means 302/5.0 V8; and G means 351/5.8 V8.

I don't specifically remember, but I think the block serial number is at the back of the head mounting surface facing up between the head and the firewall. Good luck on getting back there to see it!

From experience, I can tell you your carb problems will never go away. It's partly because of the carb, partly because of the 2-bolt mounting, and mostly because of the loooooooong, unequal intake manifold runners.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 02:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

if u need a carburator, i have a several month old one barrel i was using on my 1984 300 powered truck. it is the carb for a 1975 f-350 300. the only difference is that all the vacuum operated computer controled crap on that carb that doesnt work, and is prolly the cause of your problems, as it was with mine, is not on this carburator. not sure what state u live in, or what problems this may present with emmisions, but tuned properly, it should pass.

1984 bronco = good
tree = bad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 07:56 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks, I appreciate the offer on the carb, but I just put a rebuilt on thinking it would solve all my problems (can you believe I WANTED a carb model 'cause I thought it would be easier?) Anyway, the carb should be sound, but exactly as you say all the electronic and vacuum accessories are questionable. Which is exactly why this post started. My beast was originally equipped with a 300, I just don't think it was THIS 300. Too many things aren't matching up. So I have been trying to figure out what year the engine is.

Steve83 - If I understood your suggestion, I couldn't find it. Using flashlight, long-handled mirror and my skills as a contortionist, I was able to get a good look at the back of the block. On the vertical surface facing the firewall there's a freeze plug and some flat surfaces, but no stamp or tag that I can find. You said 'facing up'. Should I be trying to find a horizontal surface somewhere?

Thanks All,
Doug

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: stamp pad

Yes, I thought it might be on the horizontal surface immediately behind the head, but, after looking around mine, I can't find it. And I just don't remember where it was on the old engine. It's going to be a machined flat surface, and it should be visible with the engine assembled & installed.

"Freeze plug"??? Do you have the flywheel/bellhousing/transmission off the engine? You shouldn't be able to see those freeze plugs.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 12:38 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What are the problems you are experiencing? What year is the Bronco itself? What is the carburetor off of? By this, I mean did you buy it from a parts store for your year of Bronco? What do the spark plugs look like? Does it start? What ignition system is in it? This will help us figure out whats going on.

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 05:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

anyone with a 300 six interested in a dual outlet header? i have one that is brand new. it ran for about 30 minutes on my engine, just enough time to bake the paint off.
Dominic

1984 bronco = good
tree = bad
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 10:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's a 1984, and according to VIN originally equipped with 4.9L. All the evidence points to this not being the original engine though. Lots of loose vacuum lines that weren't going anywhere, no vacuum or drive pulley diagrams under the hood, left over cruise parts, wiring diagram from my Haynes doesn't seem to match--fr'instance my Haynes says '84 shouldn't have a voltage regulator, but there it is, right next to the battery. So I figure I better find out what year it is for my all to frequent trips to the O'Reilly. Anyway I figure that's job 1 (being a Ford and all).

I did the easy stuff. It has good compression on all six (even anyway), new plugs (old ones were cruddy and carboned up), new wires and rotor. I took the carb in and got the exact same model back. The carb heat tube was rusted away and the electric choke wire cut off and gone, so I put on a manual choke. It was starting really hard. barely loping along with the throttle wide open, but I improved that a little just by making sure the choke is adjusted right. I'm not sure it's running any worse than I would expect with all the unidentified vac lines I've got capped everywhere. I have 4 diagrams for 1984 and none of them seem to match, so that takes me back to job 1. I need to figure out what year it is so I can hook most everything up right. I'll have to study my manual to figure out which ignition system.

Steve, sure looked like a freeze plug. I'll have to go look again.

Dominic, why might I be interested in dual outlet header?

Thanks All

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 09:27 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: freeze plug

Ooooooh, yeah... There's one on the back of the HEAD you can see with the engine installed. The block is below that.

Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2001, 08:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey, is the dual outlet header in one piece or does it come in two sections?? i might be interested.

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode