Manual tailgate window - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 10:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Manual tailgate window

Okay, I've been away for a while, like 2280 late Bronco posts since last time! I am having tailgate latch problems on my 94. If its not slammed hard enough, window may go up, but later won't go down. Have to pull off panel, disconnect the motor wire, jump with battery charger to get it down. Problem is the left side latch, the two little flappers that latch onto the post when closed. The upper flapper pushes a lever that pushes down on the interlock switch. But closing the latch by hand, then pulling the inside release handle, shows the problem. The top flapper won't spring back far enough due to the drag of the switch. Cleaned and greased everything, no help. It only partially opens, so it makes the tailgate harder to close, and if not closed all the way, no interlock contact, or contact is iffy, which leads to trouble. Tried pulling the latch out, but the window track is in the way. Put it all back in. Was an outside manual crank and lock handle ever on these trucks? If so, I think I'm ready to convert mine and say the heck with the electric. Comments? Help? A big brick?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2001, 11:29 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Manual tailgate window

Uncle Don,
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Don't want to rain on yer parade man, but there never was, or ever has been (aftermarket included) a manual crank for those puppies. What I suggest ya do is go to the junkyard, and pick yourself up a fairly cheaply priced rear tailgate that has a matching color of paint on it. Then, when you get it, grease up the tracks and lining real well, and I doubt that you'll have the same prob.
-mike

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 12:33 AM

Take the two wires on the switch on the left latch off. Connect these together so the switch will be bypassed. This will cure your electric woes. The handle it self can be adjusted by rotating the latch mechanism on the center of the gate side to side. As far as I know there is no manual handles for the truck. Don't give up hope on the gate setup. The system actually works well, after eliminating the saftey switches. And unless you use your handle constantly, it should not have worn out. Goodluck

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 01:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sweet: What do you mean by "rotating the latch mechanism on the center of the gate side to side?" You are talking about the little circle with the 2 connecting rods, right?I've looked all over for a way to get my handle to work and nothing has fixed the problem?

Thanks,
cmg

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 09:57 AM
Mud in my Veins

If you want to put the window back in working order, you need to clean the inner part of the catch, or replace it. If it's just loaded with grit, rinsing with Liquid Wrench should free up that sticking pawl. If not, the return spring is probably broken or weak and you'll have to replace the whole catch. Even if you bypass (and remove) the interlock switch, the catch will still be sticky, but the window motor will always get power. I've found my catches work better with almost no grease because they collect less dust. You may be able to clean them inside the t/g, but if you want it all to work, it's worth the effort of pulling it out.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:12 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Inside tailgate handle

If your inside handle has NO effect on the latches, the mechanism in the center of the t/g has probably rusted or the interlock rod (the L-shaped one that hooks the bottom of the glass when it's down) is out of line. They're both on the back side of the center divider when you take the access panel off.

The center mechanism nuts can be loosened and it can be slid to make both catches release at the same time, but I had to put an S-bend in my driver's side rod (that runs to the catch) to take up some slack in it. (I guess they stretch a little.)

The interlock rod is supposed to disable the inside handle unless the glass is all the way down, and it's supposed to be retained in a plastic loop that holds it straight down but lets it move up & down. Often, (I've seen a bunch in junk yards) the mechanism rusts or bends, or the rod goes out of position and the inside handle is permanently disabled. Once you look at it, you'll be able to tell exactly why yours doesn't work.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 10:36 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Inside tailgate handle

Cool Steve: I'll check it out, again, and post with results.

Thanks,
cmg

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2001, 03:47 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

UncleDon, good to see you back on the board!
AAM

post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2001, 09:49 AM

Uncle Don

Good to see you back, sorry it's that dern tailgate that had to bring you back. I sandblasted mine this year and made a few repairs to it too. Like someone mentioned, looping that safety position sensor takes all the back chat out of the motor's response. It'll respond in all situations, which means be very aware where your glass is pointing, or what's in it's way from then on.

The latch should be replaced as it leads to other colateral damage. My right side latch had a tiny little return spring break which caused it not to latch. The previous owner, and me, were too cheap to replace the latch. Over time, with all the punishing bumps my pussy Bauer took in the Arctic, the door skin broke a little loose and it put extra wear on my left side latch. It also caused the outer window seal to fail and come loose and drop into the gate door.

The 50 something Canadian bucks I had to lash out for the latch should have been done a long time ago, it would have saved me a lot of grief and colateral bucks.

Good luck

Malcolm

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2001, 03:18 PM

The actual latch mechanism (center of gate) does not rotate but slides around a bit if the bolts are loosened. I agree with steve83 in saying do not grease the latch but only with wd-40 type product. grease gets hard in the cold and collects dirt and gets tough. By bending the rods and fooling with the latch adjustment it should be ok. If you do need new parts watch out for 80-82 rods and striker latches as they are different from all other years. The tailgates are different as well as the window. Either gate will fit the truck though, just different hardware.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode