'81 Full Size Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

\'81 Full Size Bronco

I just started working with my '81 full size Bronco, that has been sitting for awhile. It was broken into while sitting and needed a few ignition parts. After I replaced those, I had problems with a few wires and a connector and had to find a replacement. Now I have everything in, and I am not sure where to start and try to get this thing running. I can turn the key to ignition, but it only turns the starter. What should I be doing after such a long time sitting? I am more familiar with full size Jeeps and Scouts than Ford.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 08:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: A while?

How long is "a while"?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 08:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Almost two years. I just got time to replace the sheet metal under the petals, and put all new brake cylinders in. I am just trying to get it running so I can diagnose any other problems.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:18 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: \'81 Bronco

WEll, the carb is probably so full of gum and corrosion that it's ruined. Pull the bowl cover off and see if it looks like dry syrup at the bottom and powdered sugar on the sides and top. If it looks salvageable, soak it in mineral spirits for a few years and put a kit in. If not, buy a reman and save your time, money, and sanity.

Throw away all the spark plugs and do a dry then a wet compression test. The cylinders are most likely rusted, so they may have to honed or bored to get the new rings to seat.

Expect to find a lot of degraded gaskets, water-saturated fluids (milky or waxy oil), corroded electrical terminals, and rusty bearings. Sorry to be so cheerful, but vehicles aren't made to be abandoned for that long.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 09:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \'81 Bronco

I wasn't abandoned, it was keep in a controlled indoor location, and it was run periodicall over this time. I just hasn't been used continuously in a while. I was just thinking maybe the module or something was going and it was getting sufficent spark. Any other advice.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 10:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ahhh... Its not quite that bad. Actually my '83 sat for 3 years and Its the nicest driving bronco I've ever had/been in. If I had to guess why its not starting, I'd start with fuel delivery. Carbs tend to dry up from sitting and it can be disasterous on small motor carbs like lawn mowers and small bikes, where passages can be as small as .03" . but with that goofy 2bbl you've got alot more slack. you might try putting a small amount of fuel in the carb, two "shot" sized amounts should get some reaction if the ignition system is working. If it hits then obviously its a lack of fuel, after sitting two years the fuel system will need some time to prime it self - but I suspect you've ground on the thing more than long enough to do it. You may have a clog in the fuel system - which would most certainly be at the Sending unit/Pickup, there is filter screen on it that would easily clog if the tank has rusted. If you don't get anything out of priming the motor, pull a spark plug wire, and stick a screw driver in the boot so it is touching the connector, place it within a 1/4" of some exposed steel on the truck, a header should work, you or you're asistant should crank the engine over, look for a spark bridging the gap, if there is one, or you or you're assistant is shocked (And assuming someone hasn't molested the Distributor or Sparkplug wires while it has been sitting) you'll have to go back to looking at the fuel system because you're Ignition system should be fine. You could disconect the fuel line from the carb and have someone stick it well into a bottle necked container, crank the motor, for 10 seconds at a time and let it be for a minute, after two or 3 attempts you should have fuel. If you don't you should look into replacing the Fuel pump, It could still be a problem in the tank but, Id replace a fuel pump before I droped a tank. If you do get fuel, then the trouble is in you're carb, go to the the parts store and pick up the inline fuel filter that screws on the float bowl of the carb, the gasket, and pickup 2 or 3 cans of Carb cleaner, that take the carb apart and use the annoying little red thing the spray the cleaner into EVERY orrifice, set the Idle mixture screws to 2 1/2 turns out, and replace the filter. with any luck it may run. I'm not going to go into every possibility, but tell us what happens and I'm sure someone will tell you where to go from there.

'78 Custom 4"Lift 36"HummV tires Factory Rollbar-QuadShock-4Speed. '78XLT A/C, Cruise. '83Custom A/C and sweet paintjob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode