TRANSPLANT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-13-2001, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

TRANSPLANT

Well My 302 finally bit the dust and I'm gonna be dropping in the 351w this weekend with new rad., fipk, new ignition system (Accel), New plugs , wires cap&rotor, Airaid throttle body spacer, tow hooks,cab visor, underdrive pulley,all new gaskets,Shift kit,pvc valve and all hoses.
I want to put lockers in but not sure of what not much experience with diff. stuff. Suspension is stock for now spent all $$$ on engine! Any ideas on lockers???

Backyard Builder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 12:01 AM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Performance parts

If you haven't already bought the underdrive pulleys and the throttle body spacer, think about it... They're in the same category as the magnets they sell to clamp around a fuel line - voodoo performance.

I've been shopping for differentials, too, and it looks to me like the way to go is ARB front and rear. On a slightly lower budget, TrueTrac front and Detroit rear. The cheapest ones that look at all useful are Auburns front and rear. Anyone have any experience with these???

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 04:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: TRANSPLANT

Lockers really are nice - it is darn near the best Modification you can make on a truck, some people think if they've got two driveshafts they are doing all right, but if you've got two open diffs or a limited-slip in the rear and not getting stuck - you're not doing anything to wild.
I like Trac Lok but anything is better than nothing, You may consider having someone install them for you, its not just a matter of bolting them in, the pinion will more than likely have to be shimmed, and experience has alot to do with getting it done right. - As far as under drive pulleys and phelonic spacers, If you do alot of crawling the pulleys may get you in trouble, as far as charging cooling and you will likely notice you're steering a bit sluggish at idle. They do work though - but in a truck with a auto, you might not notice much of anything, and how often do you race you're truck? a spacer is more effective between the upper and lower intakes.

'78 Custom 4"Lift 36"HummV tires Factory Rollbar-QuadShock-4Speed. '78XLT A/C, Cruise. '83Custom A/C and sweet paintjob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 07:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'll put in a third vote against the phenolic spacer, and the pulleys. You will notice no difference with the spacer, and the pulleys get you into charging margin problems at idle. Not worth the slight gain in torque in my book.
Steve, do you personally know anyone with the ARB's (or anyone else on this board have experience with them)? All I know is what I read, and the magazines tend to just tell you what the manufacturers advertise. I'm curious as to how well they hold air, and if the airlines are reliable.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 07:46 PM
Mud in my Veins

Even a limited slip would make a big difference. I have factory LSD in my bronco and I drove my brothers blazer with an open 10 bolt and it sucks! I've never really thought much about limited slip, but now that I've drive an open diff i do! That blazer was getting stuck everywhere. And I don't mean off=road, I'm talkin wet grass. I'd like to try out a lockered truck sometime, though. I bet LSD front and rear would make quite a bit of difference.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-14-2001, 08:27 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: ARB

Nope. No experience with them. And while I'm aware of how magazines use press releases to write their "real world test" articles, I've never heard anything from anyone in a magazine, chat, BBS, or parts store disclaiming the virtues of the ARB. The only drawback is the one the manufacturer admits: about $2200 for a full front-&-rear install.

PS I doubt there's a problem with them leaking (as long as your axle vents are OK) or with the lines leaking since the compressor will just kick in and maintain the pressure. But I've never heard anything about them leaking.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode