Mystery of lost Anti-Freeze 2! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:12 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Mystery of lost Anti-Freeze 2!

As you guys know, I put a "new" radiator in a couple of days ago. Well, everything had been going great till today when my gauge went way up and circulation stopped?

I checked my fan clutch first, cause all I saw was the gauge go to HOT when I was stopped, that checked out fine. Started checking everything else and noticed that I didn't have any circulation....nothing!

Now, if my water pump is not leaking out the weep hole and its not making any noises, how can I tell if its bad? And what about the t-stat being bad?

Any ideas would be greeaaaaat!

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 07:51 AM

Re: Mystery of lost Anti-Freeze 2!

My experience would tell me first, May ther is an air pocket and if you squeeze the top rad hose it will usually open up. I had this problem when i flushed my system out . second maybe your water pump isn't leaking but the shaft is broken where it welds on the fins and it may be turning but if the fins are broke off you won't get cirrulation. this happen to me on a mustang '85. Also maybe the t-stat is blocked or not opening? These are the things that I have experience with. hope it helps!!

Backyard Builder
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 10:34 AM
Mud in my Veins

Ford truck engines are not noted for suffering from air pockets, so I doubt it's that. The fins are only pressed (not welded) onto the shaft, but they rarely fall off - usually just slip giving insufficient flow under heavy load. I'd yank the thermostat first since it's the cheapest to check/replace. Also, look at the lower hose to make sure it isn't collapsing. It should have a spring inside to hold it open, but they rust. You didn't shove a rag in there to catch drips while you were changing the rad, did you? :-)

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thank guys and no, I didn't leave a rag in the truck.

Today I went out, cranked up and everything is fine, running a little cold, but circulation is there? (Prior to changing the t-stat today)

Since I didn't know what t-stat was in, went ahead and got a new one and changed it. Nothing different?!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 12:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

\"nothing different\"?

Does that mean it's still not working, or that it's still flowing?

There should be no (or very little) flow when the engine's cold, and a sudden increase in flow and temp of the upper hose when the thermostat opens.

(No offense on the rag thing; stranger things have happened!-)

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 01:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: \"nothing different\"?

It seems to be working for the moment, however that might change? YEsterday, I had no circulation and running hot.
Thing morning (prior to changing the t-stat) everything was rolling slow and didn't really notice a difference in circulation when it warmed up?

After changing t-stat things are pretty much the same with circulation?

No offense taken, I've heard of some crazy things with car repair!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-12-2001, 09:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i would guess bad t-stat or the infamous collapsed hose....

headers on a 6 banger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode