gas tank - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 07:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

gas tank

hey all i just noticed that my gas tank is leaking quite bad. all the gas is coming through the skidplate. so that means it is definetly a hole in the bottom of the tank, right? i was thinking of dropping off the skidplate, draining the gas and epoxying(spelling??) the whole so it will not leak anymore, do any of u have any other reccomendations on what to do other than get a new tank? i was told the epoxy will work as long as the tank is not soft. i am also thinking of putting some kind of gas safe rust preventer on the bottom of the tank, again any reccomendations? thanks for any help, rob

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:24 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: gas tank

Yep, there's a hole (spelling) caused by gravel and sand trapped between the skidplate and the tank etching thru when the frame flexes. Even a good epoxy job isn't safe. It needs to be professionally brazed (after being drained and thoroughly purged - I use a vacuum cleaner for an hour or so) or replaced. While the tank liner won't hurt, it won't protect from the same thing happening again. You have to rinse the skid plate drain holes until the water runs clear after every mudding trip. While you have the skid plate down, you could drill a few more drain holes wherever the mud has built up so it won't again.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

how much will a brazing job cost? do u think i will be better off purchasing a new tank and starting all over with new tank and reconditioned skid plate? i think i migh go for the tank cause i got a price from a local store wich i get a discount through and it would end up being like 125 witch isnt that bad. i think i might just go the safe way with a new tank but i am still open for opinions. thanks rob

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:43 PM
Mud in my Veins

New

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:49 PM

Pitmaster

After you get to the "acceptance stage" and realize that yes maybe I will have to buy a new tank, I have a suggestion to make sure you don't get sand grinding holes in your next tank, against the skid plate.

My tank went on me in the Arctic when I was up there two years ago. My 86 was the first Ford I'd ever owned and I couldn't visualize(with the Haynes manual) how they kept the tank in position. I was making money hand over fist at the time so I just told my Southern parts man "send me everything that has anything to do with holding the tank in place". Because I bought the actual tank aftermarket I could afford all the other stuff with the money I saved.

When I dropped the tank in a borrowed heated bay I couldn't believe the Ford engineers would rest the tank actually on the skid plate. In my mind this allowed it to move and gyrate around grinding sand particles against the tank. Seemed to me it would only be a matter of time before it happened again, even with all my fancy new mounting hardware.

In the Arctic I didn't have a Home Depot or a lot of options and the sun had gone down for the day. I remembered I'd just bought a brand new shower mat that was the type that sticks to the tub floor with tiny suction cups. I grabbed a lift back to my place and snatched the mat before the significant bitcher even knew it was there. I went back and cut the mat in half and laid it down between the new tank and well washed skid plate.

Everything got re-installed as per usual and I now drive down the road knowing the sand isn't working it's way through tank as the miles roll on.

My two cents, good luck

Malcolm

86 Eddie Bauer 5.0 litre,EFI, AOD, fully synthetic'd fluids, pussy truck/stereo pit.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 09:32 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

that comment on the tank riding the skid plate hits home. I thought someone just didn't replace it correctly. I hung my new tank with pipe strap and inner tube for cushion..

if you tank is rusting, replace. aftermarkets are good, make sure you get the correct bung hole measurement. i thought about getting a plastic one, but decided against.

headers on a 6 banger
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 10:17 AM

Go with a new tank: Autozone sells 'em for 100 bucks. If the skid plate is badly rusted, you'd better replace it, too. I made the mistake of re-using my old, rusty skid plate. I ended-up tearing the entire skid plate and tank (with 30 gallons of gas in it) off while I was wheeling. What a mess! I'm lucky the damn thing didn't explode!

A Fool and his Truck are soon stuck...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:00 AM
Mud in my Veins

The tank doesn't actually rest on the steel skidplate, but the only things separating them are 2 strips of asphalt soaked cardboard. After enough heat and water cycles, the oils leach out and the cardboard degrades and disappears among the rust and mud between the tank and plate. I use campershell mounting foam to insulate my tank. It's available at Wal-Mart for a few bucks and is resistant to fuel, oil, water, heat, cold, and pressure.

Steve
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 11:02 AM
Mud in my Veins

Autozone sucks. I'd get one from Satan before I'd go there.

Steve
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-11-2001, 02:28 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm poor (or at least thats what I tell my truck), So if you're telling you're truck you're poor also - assuming you don't have rust coming out of you're fuel line, you may consider just patching the tank and like so many others have said- putting down some rubber. Its amazing what will work as a patch - JB weld works pretty darn good, even that stupid clay works okay - I had a '78 chevette (it was free and eventually it got turned into a go-cart and then run over by my big 78) that someone had patched the tank with Bondo - it held for 6 years until I backed over a battery (oops) with it. Also - I'm not sure what people have against Autozone, They stock more parts than Napa - they are almost always cheaper, they warrenty most behind-the-counter parts for life (including wear items like brake pads and alternators) and tell me - Its 8:15pm and you need a voltage regulator - are you gonna go to NAPA? i think not. Its pretty rare autozone doesn't have a part I need - napa usually has it but they have to order it. - my 2 cents.

'78 Custom 4"Lift 36"HummV tires Factory Rollbar-QuadShock-4Speed. '78XLT A/C, Cruise. '83Custom A/C and sweet paintjob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode