paint condoms - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

paint condoms

hey guys,
4x4in' and hunting, I have learned, ruins paint jobs. I was deer hunting in mehico, and the huge mesquite brush was just gouging into my paint, and scratching the crap out of it. Also, when I mud in the backcountry, and triumphantly drive into town with three inch thick mud (so it can dry and drop on my girlfriend's dad's driveway) it seeps into the clearcoat, and takes weeks for the sun to bake it out. Now I know I could probably put about ten coats of wax on the damn thing, and it might help out, but I have to get a step ladder just to wash it....and time is kinda a factor in my life. So....my question is this.....is there anything I can put on the surface of my truck's paint finish to keep the brush and trees from scratching it, and keep the mud from making the clearcoat look cloudy after a healthy dose of mud?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: paint condoms

As for the mud, I used to use a jar of vasoline on my mustang to stop the rubber from sticking to the paint. You could try that? (look kinda funny) Get some really good wax, 3M makes a was system that is awesome, although its 7 different bottles I've only used 1 and 7. 1 being used to get sh!t out of the clearcoat and 7 to provide a great and lasting shine.

Trees and brush, i really don't know. I had one land on my roof 3 weeks ago and now its starting to rust. (too lazy to get up there and do anything about it)

maybe something in there can help?

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 05:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What's wrong with scratches?? Adds character if you ask me (least that's my excuse for bashing the sh*# out of my truck;-)

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Another alternative is the brushgaurds. They are a magnetic bond sheeting that you can slap on when you go mudding or bushwacking and pull off when your cruising aroung showing off around town. There is a website for them I'm not sure what it is but check that out. I am going to be putting Duraback on the lower pannels of my truck this spring to ward off bushes as well as the rocks my mudders throw up.

Beat that sucker into submission!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 10:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

badass, woody.
I never knew that that stuff ever existed. That looks like something I need next season. Thanx fer yer guys' help, once again!!!

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 09:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoa!

Did you see how much it costs? $650-$950.

Just a thought, but I think you can go to a sign maker, SignsNow, etc. and just buy the magnetic stuff from them.

I found this stuff for sale at McMaster supply. Type 'magnetic sheets' in the search box.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 04:39 PM
Mud in my Veins

1000 bucks does seem high, but have you priced a GOOD paint job lately? they are insanely expensive. but, the mcmaster magsheets are a good alternative, and there's a local shop around here that sells mossy oak camo adhesive for permanently covering your vehicle, which could be put on the magnetic sheets instead for a temporary cover. would have to be cheaper than 950 bucks. i might even do that, because i've been thinking about permanently covering mine with that camo sticky stuff, since my paint job is crap and paint jobs are $$$

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have to agree with muddybronco about paint jobs being expensive i just had my 89 bronco painted and it cost $3400 with bodywork included.now i only 4 wheel where there is room without scratching up the new paint. i dont know what your paints condition is but you have to decide which is better paying for a new paint job or buying something to protect your current paint.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-10-2001, 08:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

After I rolled my truck, I got to pick the colors for the replacement body. Considering the expense of a paint job, I chose colors that would be cheap and easy to touch up. Since factory colors usually change every model year ('89 Vermillion red is not exactly '90 Vermillion red), I went for the basics. Gloss black is always gloss black, and I had the paint store color-match the Rustoleum Sand Tan available now and forever at Wal-Mart, so I'll never have to special order a can of touch-up paint. I paid $350 to have all the sheet metal painted (bare - no taping until the second color) and now, when I scratch it, I just clean it, maybe use a little tape, and spray. The point is, choose your colors carefully when you DO get your truck repainted. If it's an '83 Dark Bronze (not available now thru Ford or Dupli-Color), but you want to keep it basically that color, choose one that IS available, even if it's a '97 Dark Hickory (or whatever). Then you can still enjoy doing what Broncos are meant to do: taking the road less travelled by.

And the magnetic sheets at the McMasters website is available in basic colors for $4.44/linear foot at 24 3/8" wide (less than $125 for us). Other than the CUSTOM colors, it's probably the same stuff the other site sells for $900.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode