GEARS - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 05:11 PM Thread Starter

GEARS

I need a couple of opinions, I am thinking about putting new gears in my diffs and want to know should I or do I have to put them in front and back or can i just do 1 at a time? I don't do much off-road in the winter so I don't use 4-wheel much. I was told to match up both, but not too knowledgeable in this area.

Backyard Builder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 05:28 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: GEARS

Ford usually put gears with a ratio .01 higher in the front diff than the back. This is so that the front wheels pull you around curves in 4WD. But if the ratios are different for ANY reason, you can't run 4WD on a high-traction surface because it will overstress the transfer case. If your ratios are ever REALLY different (like more than .05), you shouldn't engage 4-wheel on any surface.

You should be aware that setting up the ring & pinion is a VERY precise procedure and if you're not prepared to do it EXACTLY right, you should pay someone who is experienced to do it. It's expensive, but if it's done wrong, the diff can lock up or explode. (Words of experience.)

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 06:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

slicker,
yeah, don't use 4wd with only one done, and the other not. my suggestion is to do the rear first, and then disconnect your front driveshaft, so that way its not possible to accidentally mess up your axles. then, when you can afford it, move to the front, and have them done to match the ratio in the rear, thus reconnecting your front driveshaft. you might find the mpg saved enjoyable by not having your front driveshaft in place. also, for a good chart on what gear ratio you can run, you should go to http://4lo.com/geartable.html ...I do agree with steve about getting your gears done professionally. I have had a bad experience with unbearable gear whine when I got my gears done by an unqualified backyard mechanic.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-07-2001, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys I currently have 3.55 in front and rear with no posi or limited slip so when I get the new gears i want to add trak-lok or some kind of lockers. I don't do much off-roading but I want to have lockers before I get too muddy. I have experience with off-roading and no lockers ---you get stuck!! thanks again

Backyard Builder
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 07:41 AM
Addict

you can have alot of fun, even with out lockers, just hit the gas pedal harder.

1990 samurai spoa
soon to have 2.8 and c4 auto
33" thornbirds
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 10:33 AM
Mud in my Veins

I'm about to sell a rear end to a guy on another list who used that technique once.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode