F-250 vs minivan. Ford questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 01:40 AM Thread Starter

F-250 vs minivan. Ford questions.

Hey guys,
This is my first time posting to the Ford forum. The reason I'm here is because about a week ago my father was rearended in his '94 F-250 extra cab 4x4 with an 8 ft bed by a Mazda minivan. Upon impact the front buckets broke (the latch that holds the back of the seat in the set postion broke) and my father (6'6" tall) smashed his head into the back window and my mother (in the passenger seat) also suffered severe whiplash as well as back pains. Do you know if this is a problem with Ford? I really think there must be a design flaw for the seats to break like that, my father had to shove milk crates behind the front seats to drive the truck home. Was there ever a recall on these like the ignition switches in the '80's that caused all the car fires? Also, the frame bent as well. I believe the blue book on the truck is a lil over 10K, do you think the truck will be totalled? The bed and rear bumper is twisted as well. I'm just looking for any info I can pass along to my parents. Also anyone who would be like to see a pic of the damage can e-mail as well. I'd post it here but I cant get the filesize small enough. Thanks in advance.

Nick

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:27 AM

Re: F-250 vs minivan. Ford questions.

Nick

I have seen a super long list of recalll items, but don't remember where.

Malcolm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:51 AM
dawgghanson

Same thing happened in our 86 aerostar when rear ended...both front seat back broke at the hinges...it is common; and here is the recall site for their f 250:http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm
no mention of this prob.
you can go to tsb's there too:
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/
only thing close is this:
Service Bulletin Number: 9585
Bulletin Sequence Number: 034
Date of Bulletin: 9504
NHTSA Item Number: SB041027
Make: FORD TRUCK
Model: F250
Year: 1994
Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:SPLIT:BACK REST
Summary: A RATTLE FROM THE SPLIT SEAT BENCH MAY BE DUE TO A LOOSE OR MISSING SEAT BUSHING. *TW

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 07:52 AM
Mud in my Veins

Most drivers have enough self-preservation instinct to avoid rear-ending a fullsize truck, so that type of impact is rare. I've never seen broken seats in a junkyard, especially like you described, but anything will break if it's hit hard enough so I wouldn't describe this as a design flaw without knowing exactly how hard the impact was.

A used pair of seats shouldn't cost more than $300; a new aftermarket bumper $100; a split rear window $80; a bed $800 (repainted to match the truck); and frame straightening should run about $400. I'm not sure about the other labor - I've never had to pay for it!-) Anyway, there's no way it will cost more than $3000, so it's not totalled.

You can easily put all the pics you want on webphotos.com .

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 02:10 PM
TEX

<font color=purple>Buddy of mine broke the bucket seat in his '93 F150 X-cab. Had a 300 lb passenger, did a mild dune jump, & the passenger seat failed. We all just chalked it up to the size of the passenger, but still thought that was kind of lame.</font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode