New Bronco - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Bronco

I picked up my new Bronco today, it's a 1995 XL, 302, 5 speed, auto hubs, floor mount x-fer case shifter, front bench seats, towing pkg. etc. and I love it, low miles and in mint condition, never been off road judging by the condition of the undercarriage, front axle still has shipping paper on the back side, it does not have a owners manual, the dealer I bought it from has ordered me one. The first thing I did was drain the oil and serviced it with Mobile 1 Synthetic and a Fram Doubleguard oil filter, question 1. what is the oil capacity of the 302 in a 95 Bronc?, the dealer told me 6 qts. I added 5 and it is on the full mark! last question is how do I know for sure that I am out of four wheel drive? I have never had auto hub's before, the system worked GREAT today, I was a bit concerned afterwards because I wasen't sure if I was disconnected or not. Next step is to change front and rear diff. fluids and x-fer case once I find their capacities. Sorry for the long post! Sure feels great to finally have a Bronco, I have wanted one for many years, took a while to find the right one! Thanks in advance!

Tom
1995 Bronco XL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 05:37 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: New Bronco

Buy a Haynes manual and read it. I also crossed out stuff that doesn't apply to my truck or circled the stuff that does. Doing this, you'll find all the capacities and how to identify all the components of your truck. 6 qts is right for all but diesel engines.

Auto hub front axles don't spin freely when unlocked, but they also don't turn when the wheel is rolling. You can either jack up a front wheel, spin it, and watch the U-joint in the steering knuckle, OR have someone watch from ground level as the truck is rolling.

There's really no need to change those fluids unless you have reason to believe they are contaminated. Pull the fill plugs, dip some out with your fingertip, and see if they're milky. If so, they have water in them and need to be changed. They should all be filled up to the lip of the fill plug hole.

Don't worry about long posts.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 05:55 PM
dawgghanson

good luck! and glad you were able to buy it. enjoy it!
I am downloading the owner's manual right now (1/2 hour so far..3.04MB) from the Ford website: edited this message..dnload worked!
https://www.ownerconnection.com/Form...ult&L=49&N=840

good advice on the fluid changes and hub check from steve!

I over-maintain my 96 bronco, like i did the 78..which was driven away 3 weeks ago after being sold.
i use 6 quarts of oil in mine (owner's manual says 5 qts ..plus 1 qt w/a new filter, with some in the new oil filter before i screw it on.
I guess you/ve read these forum messages, esp about the electric transfer case motors.
also join:
http://www.ford-trucks.com/cgi-bin/d...orum=bigbronco

be well,
al

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for the info. I haven't read about the electric transfer case motors, what's it all about? What I have noticed is a lot of people are not in favor of automatic hubs and switch to warn premiums, I may do this later down the road, what is involved/how much of a job is it to do this?

Tom
1995 Bronco XL
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

hey congrats on your new truck. warn hubs are the best from what i hear but it is cheaper and easier to convert to superwinch hubs. i have these hubs and so far they work pretty good. another guy on this board just converted his hubs to superwinch and claims that it was a rather easy conversion. either way have fun with your new truck

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

tom,
it's as easy as changing your brakes and wheel bearings. There is only one metal ring that gave me trouble, but my definition of trouble is "a little frustration." my suggestion is to make that one of your first mods...it's def worth the couple hrs, and 50-80 bucks.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 05:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

What type of lube do I need to use in my transmission (manual 5spd overdrive) and how much does it hold approximately? Thanks in advance for all the help, these Forums are a great tool!

Tom
1995 Bronco XL
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:43 PM
dawgghanson

you can get the dental pick tool set from wal mart to help you with the rings..and a ford hub socket for bearing work...i asked warn if they include this in their kit, they said no, but others say warn supplies it...??
may as well get brake cleaner too and caliper lube while you're at it

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode