Brakes HOT! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 11:09 PM
abrrox

Brakes HOT!

Hi again everyone. (Hi ABRROX...)

Anyway, question about my '88 302. Today I took it for a bath after the 45 minute drive home in rush hour traffic. When I sprayed the wheel with the high pressure water, the wheels were letting off some major steam under the hubcap. The brakes must have been damn hot. I know it was rush hour traffic and Broncos weigh a lot, but is it normal for the fronts to run so hot? If that happened in my 5.0 I'd be seriously worried. Tell me why I shouldn't be, please, in my Bronco. BTW, the brakes work fine.

Thanks again from the Bronco newbie.

Brad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brakes HOT!

Your disks might be getting thin and can't displace the extra heat, but hot brakes are pretty common. The only thing to worry about is glazing the pads. Pull the tire off and check the thickness of the disks.

Good luck.

Denver
94bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 01:45 PM
Mud in my Veins

Every time I wash mine it steams like crazy too. My back brakes don't currently do anything, so that's probably most of my problem. It just happens with disks on a 6K pound behemoth. By the way, have you ever watched rally racing at night? Their rotors (disks) glow bright orange with heat, and their cars only way 1/2 what our trucks do, so that'll tell you how hot those suckers can get.

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 03:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have the same issue with my 92 Bronco, my commute home sends me down steep hills and by the time i'm at the bottom those brakes would get real mushy and I would have problems with them glazing over. One tip is criusing down hills drop it into 2nd gear and let the tranny slow you down, that takes some of the pressure off the brakes, also you're better off letting your Bronco cool down for an hour or so prior to washing.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 06:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brakes HOT! - check the calipers...

The calipers may be going out, or they may not be floating. This will leave one pad dragging on the rotor and the rotor will get reeeeeeellllly hot, and then be of limited use when you need them.

if you replace them replace them both at the same time.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Check to see of your rear brakes are working ok. If your rear brakes are bad then It'll put a lot of the load on the front.....Woody

post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 12:45 AM
abrrox

Thanks for the tips guys. I had the brakes checked about 4 months ago: 40% wear on the front and 10% on the back. Everything checked out at the time but I'm going to take it Ford and have them check them again. Brakes are one of two things I don't like screwing with (the other being steering) as they are the only two things that'll kill you if you screw it up.

But at least I have some starting points to discuss with the tech.

Thanks again.

Brad

post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-06-2001, 06:50 AM
dawgghanson

all good advice..could be brake dust and grime gunking up the slides
anyone try the summit rotors yet?

Al
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-08-2001, 02:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hmmm,

Brakes are the one piece of work that I will not let anyone else work onIMO, you should dig in and learn the how the front works, you need to be able to do this to ever do any hub servicing or bearing work. If they hang up and fail on you, knowing how they work will let you better decide to fix it or tow it.

Just my .02c worth.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #10 of (permalink) Old 01-09-2001, 06:40 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

are my rear brakes self-adjusting?

1989 bronco...100 and something thousand miles...351...C6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode