Tailgates from hell - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 09:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tailgates from hell

Hey, my 96 Bronc has a nice rust free tailgate. I've owned a number of Broncs and you know the story with tailgates and rust. Any ideas on how to keep the rust out my gate ?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 09:59 AM

Re: Tailgates from hell

Bump2000

I don't know what part of the rust belt you live in, but here in Canada we depend on Krown.

Malcolm

post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:49 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Don't drive it.

Just keep it clean repair any paint chips cracks or holes. When the tailgate is open look in the hinge area, you will see where rocks and mud can get, keep that area clean and you should get many years out of the tailgate.

Denver
94bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 12:20 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Cheap trick. Pick up a can of Under Coating for vehicles at a parts store. Shoot the front side of the bottom lip and bottom half of the inside of the tail gate. There are holes in each corner of the bottom of the tailgate for water to drain out. Make sure these are open after spraying the under coating. This allows water to drain out after it runs through the back window seal. The under coating comes in a hardening style and a rubberized style. I suggest the rubberized stuff.

Eric

If it ain't broke, I can probably still fix it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 01:34 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

when i had my body work in paint job done on my 89 bronco last month i had them leave off the rear accent panel due to rust underneath it i like the look with it off to see what it looks like go to mybigbronco.com/jbsplace/

post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 06:52 PM
Mud in my Veins

Make sure the weatherbelts are good, and (as stated) UNDERCOAT the inside. I don't think you need to undercoat the front of the lip since there's paint there, but definitely on the inside where dirt collects, which holds water against the metal, which causes rust. The weatherbelts will keep the dirt and water out.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I keep hearing about this rust stuff, but its really hard to find out here in CA (he he). Can you buy rust on eBay?

but seriously, Keeping the drain holes clean is the easiest first step. After that, even a zinc based primer/sealer in a rattle can on any bare paint inside will help alot.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

my tailgate is just starting on the outside bottom edge but if u open the tailgate the bottom inner edge is getting really bad. i was wondering if there is anything to help slow the dreadful process of rust and try to help if from spreading more than it already has? thanks rob

89 Bronco XLT, V8 302, superwinch hubs, 31x10.50 trailhandlers, and many more mods to come!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:19 PM
Mud in my Veins

Rust comes from oxygen reacting with the iron in the steel. To slow it, restrict the oxygen supply with paint or epoxy (the resin used with fiberglass). Rust flakes swell, so you can't cover them - they'll crack thru any coating. Grind, brush, or cut the rust off, fill the hole, and paint thoroughly. The front of the bottom lip of the tailgate is obscured, so you don't have to be really neat.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode