Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/)
-   -   error code 628 converter clutch error (E4OD) (https://forums.off-road.com/ford-67-96-f-series-78-96-bronco/51125-error-code-628-converter-clutch-error-e4od.html)

**DONOTDELETE** 01-01-2001 08:18 PM

error code 628 converter clutch error (E4OD)

what does that error mean. While driving home the shifting was VERY HARD a bad hard shift like there was no slippage in the tranny. 1st gear to 3 grand, BANG 2nd gear, from 2nd to 3rd not as bad and better from 3rd to 4th. If upshifting it was normal but down shifting was very hard. I pulled the codes and that was the only thing that came up as to what was happening.

Denver
94bronco

**DONOTDELETE** 01-01-2001 11:25 PM

Re: error code 628 converter clutch error (E4OD)

If I had to guess I'd say that the error refers to the Lockup selonoid? I had a 4.6L thunderbird With a Lockup-TQ problem - A scanner confirmed the problem. With the T-Bird the TQ didn't unlock Although - I never experienced any hard shifts it would just lug the motor untill you got off the throttle - then it would release and Continue nomrally.
- My two cents

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 09:04 AM

Here is what I found on the internet. Doesn't look good.

Defective Converter – Original Lock-up pistons (in the converter) often crack and/or warp creating internal leaks which prevent full apply of the Lock-up piston. The result is burned oil, black or purple converter, and possible Trouble Code 62 (or 628) stored in the computer memory.
Replace the converter – Most converter re-builders are installing the updated Luk Lock-up piston which has proven to be resistant to cracking and bending. For some applications the original piston is being reinforced (welded) and reused. Typically, rebuilt converters with the new Luk piston cost more than those without it, but they are certainly worth it, especially in Diesels. (All RPM converters have the new piston installed).

Denver
94bronco

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 12:41 PM

I've called around and the quotes are from $1500 - $2700. Would I be able to rebuild the trans my self without too many problems. I've called Helm inc to get the repair manual and it's on backorder for 6-8 weeks. Any other thoughts as to where to get the manual??

TIA

Denver
94bronco

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 02:54 PM

You might want to look into a Jet Performance transmission. For the price you were quoted you could probably get a built trans from Jet that you could just swap out.

http://www.jetchip.com/

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 03:11 PM

Called and the price is $2700 with converter, same as the dealer price. No core deposit though. Would someone, dealer or shop buy the core???

I know just call and ask.

Thanks

Denver
94bronco

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 04:48 PM

I'm sure you could sell the complete core. I would definitly take the Jet trans over a stock rebuilt one from a dealer. Keep us posted on what you find.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 06:21 PM

For that price - I'd go to the junkyard, Pickup another for $75-150, go buy a trans-jack and put that baby on in style. Even if it did go out a few years down the road - you could buy 10 more and still not go over their price.

'78 Custom 4"Lift 36"HummV tires Factory Rollbar-QuadShock-4Speed. '78XLT A/C, Cruise. '83Custom A/C and sweet paintjob.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 07:28 PM

Error code 628 refers to too much converter slip, i.e. your converter is bad, not necessarily your entire transmission. The high price for the rebuild is about 75% labor. You can take the trans out yourself, and get it rebuilt at a shop for less than $400. Or you can pull the trans out, and replace the converter only for alot less. Call a shop and see what the price of a rebuild is if you R&R the trans yourself.

**DONOTDELETE** 01-02-2001 08:49 PM

Thanks Ron-Bo, there might be hope yet. My question now is would the faulty converter cause the tranny fluid to smell burnt. I was told that the converters when they go bad have excessive heat and can burn the fluid but would like a second opinion. The converter is only like $150 and would hopefully limp the truck along, long enough for me to save the $$$ when needed.

Denver
94bronco