error code 628 converter clutch error (E4OD) - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 01-02-2001, 10:57 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: error code 628 converter clutch error (E4OD)

Aren't automatics fun? I've had nothing but fun out of mine since i got it...i've been getting 628's for over a year now and haven't had any problems. But it sounds like yours may not be unlocking, so that's a problem. When it comes to spending that kind of cash, I'd definitely say drop the tranny, put on a new convertor, and go from there. That's very possibly your only problem. If not, then time to rebuild, or buy a JET. Good luck

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 08:20 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Excessive slip could be caused by a worn lock-up clutch in the converter. The heat extra heat would be caused by the friction of the disk on the converter's face, or in other words, you have partial engagement (lock-up). The extra heat would burn the fluid.
If you decide to rebuild your trans when you pull it, you can get heavy duty parts for it. I got a TCI master rebuild kit for my AOD from Summit for $160. It had everything I needed to make a performance transmission. JC Whitney even sells a heavy duty rebuild kit with better friction materials for about the same price.

post #13 of (permalink) Old 01-03-2001, 05:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It's in the shop today, I would have done it myself but every shop I talked to said the E4OD if it gets bumped the wrong way kiss it goodbye. I'm only getting the torque converter done with a flush and fill, the main mechanic had looked at it last year when I put in a tranny cooler and remembered it and said that since I've only driven it home (50 mi) with the problem chances are that the tranny's hard parts are still good. They said it might make 10 - 100,000 miles with the new converter but no guarantee's on that. I don't have $2700 for a new one now. Start saving now all E4OD owners!!! All said and done it will only cost ,estimate, $450. Still alot for a torque converter with R&R but they will guarentee the torque converter even if the whole thing blows. I'll let you know how it goes.

Denver
94bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 07:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

IT'S FIXED!! The torque converter went south like the code said. Anyone with an E4OD look out between 80000-100000 miles. There is a major flaw with the Ford torque conveter. The lock up pistons when they get hot worp and crack and over time sent the converter into lockup witch is what I had. All said and done it was still $450 with R&R, flush and fill with a new filter, but it's running again
Thanks for all the help!!

Denver
94bronco
post #15 of (permalink) Old 01-04-2001, 10:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sure glad to hear you got it fixed! Actually, that's not a bad price to have somebody else do the work. Do you have an oil cooler on your trans? I think I remember reading that the '95-'96 models have an improved design? I'll see if I can dig that info up.

I found that info. Sorry, it's a little long:

If it becomes necessary to overhaul your E4OD transmission, you should perform as many updates as
possible if it is a pre-1995 unit. E4OD component updates include, as an example, the following items:

Improved (thicker) converter clutch piston (circa 1994), prevents the formation of cracks which relieve
fluid pressure from the apply side of the clutch, causing it to slip and even bluing the outside surface
of the torque converter in extreme cases. Ensure that your new converter contains an updated OEM or
"LuK" brand heavy-duty clutch. This can be difficult, as many torque converter suppliers and
remanufacturers may not use this new style of clutch.

Higher displacement front pump (for 1995) provides more fluid capacity for faster engagement of
reverse and greater lube flow.

New (for 1994) 4-pinion overdrive planet and input shaft assemblies replace older 3 and 4 pinion units
which tend to develop cracks in the carrier under heavy loads.

Center support update kit (for units built from 1989 through part of 1994) replaces wear-prone
bushing with a ball bearing and contains a new overdrive stub shaft.

Stronger overdrive clutch cylinder snap ring which will not dislodge.

Revised sun gear and rear case bushings (circa 1992 model year) provide longer wear life and better
lubrication.

Four pinion planet carriers (first used in 1992 model year)

New forward clutch friction plates with hardened internal splines cure "chatter" and "no-drive"
conditions in E4OD and some later C-6 transmissions.
post #16 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Not sure if there is an oil cooler or not but I do have a Trans cooler mounted to the fonnt of the Rad.

As for the rebuild, I'll have to loose a gear or win the lotto first. The shop I went to had a really good mechanic that explained everything wrong with the Ford design and what they do to fix the problems. About everything you mentioned was said at the shop. There is also a mlp sensor that SHOULD be replaced on the trans even if still working. The sensor can get water into it and cause the trans to go into limp mode. The old sensor is kinda Gray or Brown the new sensor is Black. $65 at the stealer.

Denver
94bronco
post #17 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 05:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Denver,
The biggest mistake of your aod is the two piece shaft, which is known to flex, breaking internal parts, as well as itself. If you were ever interested in getting a new one, you should opt for art carr's one piece aod, instead of jet's two piece piece. The price is the same, and it seems that art carr puts a bit more effort in their design.

post #18 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 08:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This is true, but he has the E4OD trans not the AOD. I think the E4OD became the standard trans in '90-?

post #19 of (permalink) Old 01-05-2001, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

thump,
it's the same tranny, dude....it's just electronically controlled.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode