Sound Deadening Material? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sound Deadening Material?

I'd like to dampen the road noise as much as possible in my Bronco. I would rather not pay $5/square foot for Dynamat or similiar material. Is there any other stuff out there that works just as well that I can get locally? I was thinking about trying Home Depot. I think I've seen some thin self-adhesive asphalt material there. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Sound Deadening Material?

Don't know if it would work but some carpet padding might help some and it's not $5/square foot, but will absorb all water like a sponge. As for the Asphalt in the summer with the heat will turn to tar again and smell real bad.

Denver
94bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 03:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Alright, pretty expensive, but man it drops road noise like none other. When I was into stereo competitions, I wanted the DB's, so I deadened everything. (went from 138Db's to 145Db's, just by sealing everything)
Go to a car stereo store, Rockford Fosgate sells this sound deadening spray that is the best. Comes in colors and has a great warranty!

Need more info. drop a line......

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 04:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

You could also have you truck inside sprayed with a truck bed liner (LINE-X). Or you can by a gallon of duraliner $100 and roll it on) I had my bronco sprayed and it really brought the road noise down, plus if you take the carpet out you have a good surface to haul stuff on.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 05:26 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I work in a high-end stereo shop and we use Stinger sound matting. When you get Dynamat, your just paying for the name. Any thing with aluminum backing will work just as good. I would stay away from the spray-on being used all over the truck. It is just for corners and seams. Put down about 5-8 layers (not kidding) of a sound mat, then spray the seems and coners and hard to get to areas with the spray. I put 12 layers in my Bronco, but I compete with the system in it. I dont think you would need that much.

Sean Heberly
'85 Bronco 5.8L 4-V XLT: 266K still strong. Winter Truck now.
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT: 4.9L Caddy NorthStar Engine, 11.6 QM @ 107.1 MPH, Poly Susp, KONI's all around, 2 1/2" drop.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:48 PM

Thump

When I was blasting, repairing and re-painting the tailgate this Summer, I lifted the rear cargo area carpet and the factory underlay was wet and disintigrated. I yanked it out onto the patio and used it as a template to cut new underlay.

Like you I didn't want to spend the earth and being in Canada we don't even have access to those fancy do materials. I used two different types of carpet underlay, each with a different compression rate. My reasons were not so much for sound deadening as for comfort, for lying on, as I'm getting a tailgate tent next Spring so I can sleep in the back when I'm camping or fishing.

It is a heck of a lot quieter now though. Just remember you'll need to replace those 1" foam strips that fill the corrogated floor pan in the back. I used 1/4" strips of masonite and they filled up the corrogations perfectly. I even glued them into the corrogations on the inside of the tailgate before carpetting that too. My 86 Eddie Bauer is an admitted pussy truck that sees more highway use than off road, so the back is really plush and comfy to lie on now. In a pinch you could get by without a foam bed roll, you know like if the significant bitcher locks you out or you drank your hotel money.

Worked for me

Malcolm

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 10:52 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

One of the ways I've cut down on noise in my Bronco was to leave the kids at home.

BTW, I love the Warn hubs.

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 11:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Or turn the radio up, whatever works.

Santa gave me a nice CD player and it sounds great. So does the new turbo muffler. Problem is, the turbo muffler trys to get giggy with it. I can't tell the difference between Snoop Dog and Kenny G.

I like my Warn hubs. I think I need to make sure they're working this weekend.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:31 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

sean h,
how many db's did u get yer truck down to? how much in materials did it end up costing?

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 04:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is a link to a product called Lava Liner.
http://www.off-road.com/ford/bigbroncos/sowsear/lava/ It says it will dampen the sound.

Denver
94bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode