Maybe Getting a New Bronco, good price? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Maybe Getting a New Bronco, good price?

Well, I found a Bronco I liked and went to look at it. Heres the scoop: Its a '90 XLT w/4wd, FI 351, Green w/Tan interior, no rust on the frame or body, but a little on the tail gate. It was owned by a mechanic and it is in great condition. It has 171K miles though! Thats less then mine with 266K, but thats still high. They are asking $4,995 for it. We are thinking they would drop to about $4K. Is that a good price for it? Also, what do you think we could get out of mine? Its a '85 XLT, 4wd work perfect, carbed 351, perfect interior, needs tires, 266K miles, oil shooting from breather hole, , still runs okay in summer and hot weather, but runs like crap in winter. Gas milage problem has been fixed also, gets about 9-11 mpg. What do you think I could get out of it? I need all the money I can to afford this new one.

Sean Heberly
'85 Bronco 5.8L 4-V XLT: 266K still strong. Winter Truck now.
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT: 4.9L Caddy NorthStar Engine, 11.6 QM @ 107.1 MPH, Poly Susp, KONI's all around, 2 1/2" drop.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-28-2000, 06:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Maybe Getting a New Bronco, good price?

The price seems high, esp for the mileage.

Also, if its pushbutton 4x4, then I'd avoid it.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 08:15 AM
dawgghanson

the prices vary here in NJ, of course for that year and model; typ hi mileage 90 broncos are around $3500.00; some as low as $2900.
check out this site for ideas on other broncos in your area:
http://www.autotrader.com

good luck!

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I thought that price was low, especially for around here. I didnt find anything on Autotrader in my area or within 200 miles. It is not "pushbutton" 4wd, it is on the floor, but automatic 4wd. Just curious, why avoid the pushbuttons? I love automatic 4wd and wouldnt trade it for nothin. My Bronco with 266K on it has oddly never had any 4wd trouble, and it is used on a regular basis. Thanks for the help.

Sean Heberly
'86 Pontiac Fiero GT: 4.9L Caddy NorthStar Engine, 11.6 QM @ 107.1 MPH, Poly Susp, KONI's all around, 2 1/2" drop.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 01:54 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here's a link to a really nice bronco in Ca for $4500. Its a 5.8L, C6,. XLT, loaded, clean no rust. There are alot of them for sale out here right now cuz CA gas prices are insanely high and broncos aren't known for good economy.This rig used to be mine. The guy bought from me last summer to tow his 43 flatty, but his wife just bought a new truck so he doesn't need it anymore. I am tempted to buy it back if the price goes much lower.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/ubb/Forum8/HTML/004010.html

Anyway, I don't trust the electric push putton transfer cases. I've had three friends with 90 bronco's and pusbutton 4x4 and all of them have failed.

As far as Automatic 4x4? do you mean auto locking hubs? I'd replace with manual locking hubs. I've heard of these failing too, so I'd opt for a stout manual hub like the warn premium. I know when I'm going to need 4x4 enough in advance, that its no big deal to get out and lock the hubs. usually time to air down a bit and make sure everything is strapped down. I've never been stuck where I had to get out and lock the hubs.

- Dan

99 4Runner (wifes grocery getter)
My Bronco is sold.
What trail rig will be next...
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:02 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

If it doesn't have a newer gas tank it'll need one soon. Of course the tailgate is rotten inside too. Offer the guy $3500. Auto hubs suck.

96 351 Warn prem's. etc. etc.

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I got a question. What are the differences between a tailgate for an '85 and one on the '90? I got a guy who can get me one for my '85 for $100. Be great if it would fit the new one. Yes, I did mean auto locking hubs. It is not pushbutton 4wd, but autolock hubs. I am trying to sell my current Bronco, and even if I can I will go no higher then $4000. I went out looking again today for a Bronco and found a '91 XLT 351, but it was gawd awful ugly I think. Had a clean, but ugly, red interior, front bench seat, small passenger car tires, and faded paint and they were asking $8,500 for it. Kinda makes the one I am looking at seem cheap. Is 170K miles on a 5.8L engine alot for that big of an engine? I mean, mine has lasted 266K miles, but is starting to go and I want to get rid of it soon while its still running. Why the newer gas tank? What size does it have stock? I would like to get about a 40 gal. tank if I need a new one. Thanks

P.S. I live in North Platte, NE. CA is a little bit far just to buy a truck. What do you think shipping would cost from CA to Nebraska?

Sean Heberly
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 04:07 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wow, I looked at that '88 for sale on the address you posted. That is a really nice truck. I wish I lived closer and I would buy that one in a heartbeat. I am making a trip to Las Vegas on March 3rd. If I can hurry up and get mine sold, I am going to talk to the seller and see if I might be about to pay him now and drive it back home in March. I just wish I could be mine sold, would need at least $2500 for it.

Sean Heberly
post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 05:17 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Sean, Ill drop of my 80 for ya when im in town. Ill be there around Late Feb early Mar. Ill take 2000.00 for it! Yeah Im at home sick and bored. Later!

Dont like it? LICK ME!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-29-2000, 06:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I never want a carbed engine again! Never ever. I hate them. FI is the only way to go. Want to get rid of it, leave it here and let me sell it. You could probally get about $2K to $2500 for it in good condition. I was looking at one the other day. It was a brown, rusted, faded, clean but ugly interior, FI 302, 96K miles, went for $6200. I really think $2500 for mine is very reasonable around here.

Sean Heberly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode