Drive shaft rebuild - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 03:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Drive shaft rebuild

I found that one of my u-joints needed replacing on my rear drive shaft. It was the second one of three coming back from the transfer case. It is located on the double yoke. As usual, I used my haynes for advise. I got the damaged 'u' out and the drive shaft came apart. Haynes failed to warn me that once these shafts come apart that there are needle bearings inside a rotating ball where the two yokes connect. It took me some time, but I placed 'most' of the needles back into the bearing casing (along with tons of crap). I had to do this twice to get it back together. Then while replacing the end caps, I again had trouble with loose needle bearings. Finally, I got it together, but am not very confident in the job and would like to redo it right. Can the bearing between the two yokes be removed and replaced, or do you have to buy two new yokes? (because part of the bearing is on 1 yoke and the other part is on the other) Also, is there an easier way to replace the end caps without having the needle bearing jump out. I used the hammer method, which I am sure was not right. Can you use a large c clamp to press the new caps in? The book says use a vise, but my vise is attached to my bench, and I don't think it is large enough, plus it is very hard to line everything up on the bench. Any help, especially about the bearings between the Yokes would be of greatly appreciated. If I have to replace these, where can I get a replacement?

Thanks,

93 Eddie 302 32" BFG Warn Man hubs
Finally starting to get it right

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-26-2000, 09:05 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Drive shaft rebuild

I've never dissected the cv-joint myself, but I have done regular u-joints and if there's any grease in there it will hold the needles together for easy installation. Maybe put some grease on it?

It's a Jeep thing? My Bronco thing will run over your little Jeep thing.

Muddybronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 09:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Are you talking about the ujoint or the Drive shaft with the Slip yolk. I did the same thing when I replaced my ujoints and the cap fell off and all the needles fell out, put some more grease in and was able to hammer away. The vice thing is the best way to go but like you didn't have one big enough. Also my ujoints had a grease zerk (sp?) and I filled it before hammering the second time.

Denver
94bronco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 10:58 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I guess I am talking about both. When I took the four point connector with the end caps that hold the U joints together (I am not sure of the name but it has the zerk fitting on it. I always called it a u-joint) the shaft came apart (The yokes seperated). Between these two yokes is a ball bearing looking thing with needle bearings inside of it. I feel that I can get the end caps back on the u-joint okay, however my concern is with replacing the ball bearing looking thing (MuddyBronco calls this a slip yoke).

The first time I attempted to get all of this together, I used a hammer and pounded a few of the needle bearings, that slipped out of there holder, into submission. I retried the process, minus the broker needle bearings, and got it all together (temporarly). I am sure that with missing needle bearings and contamination that the u-joint will fail.

So, My concern is with replacing the 'slip yoke'. Do you have to replace each yoke to replace this bearing?
To bad I can draw a picture and post it, because the picture would explain alot.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 11:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

here is a picture of a u-joint, not the same you have but it will do for now. Are you talking about the Caps getting pressed in withoug losing needles(bearing)Or the Slip yolk on the drive shaft. "the shaft came apart (The yokes seperated)."

1. High Strength Steel Crosses
2. High Quality Seals
3. Machined to Meet or Exceed OE Standards
4. Drilled and Tapped Grease Fittings
5. Superior Lubricating

Denver
94bronco
post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:06 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have figured out how to get the end caps pressed into the yoke over the Steel Cross.

I guess it is the slip yoke I am talking about. I will have to wait until I get home, but I believe there is a picture of the driveshaft and its components in Haynes. I will look at the picture and tell you what the parts name is that I am trying to replace. Right now, I think I am talking about the slip yoke. If you take the first and second yoke apart(away from the t-case) the bearing is between them, thus I think it is probably called the slip yoke. Thanks for the picture. How did you post it on the board?

post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Find the picture on the internet and I right click the picture to properties cut and paste the url into
[ image]url[ /image] taking the extra spaces out from [image] and /image

Denver
94bronco
post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 12:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did a search on the internet, and I believe that the bearing is called a center bearing? Has anyone replace one of these?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:52 PM

I just rebuilt my drive shaft two weeks ago. The joint with the ball and needles with the spring in it is called a CV joint, this is located at the foward end of the driveshaft at the t-case side. The slip shaft or yoke is the part on the rear of the driveshaft that connects to the rear end and slides up and down with the suspension. Everything is held together by U joints, the X shaped pieces with the end caps and needle bearings.
you can use the hammer method but most likely you will tap the needle bearings out and its a bitch to do it this way. I myself did it that way but I have done tons of them so I have learned how to do it just right. (At the expense of wrecking several new ujoints trying to learn.) A vise is a good way to do it but it can also be tricky lining them up. Put grease in the joints to keep the needle bearings in, but not to much because it gets messy and hard to see whats going on. If all your bearings fell out when the caps where removed then your joints where most likely dry and need replacing. The new joints will have grease in them for shipping purposes. This should be enough for assembly. Grease when finished. If you did break or loose any needle bearings in the process then you will have to get new components. The joint will fail. Email me if you need help. Goodluck.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-27-2000, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

How do you replace the CV joint?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode