Chirpping?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Ford 67-96 F-Series, 78-96 Bronco All discussions of 67-96 F-Series Trucks and 78-96 Broncos

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 02:41 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Chirpping??

Today, I noticed a "chirpping" noise anytime I accelerated? Very vauge, I know, however any ideas?
'89, 351, 110,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 09:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Chirpping??

Loose serpentine belt??

Denver
94bronco
post #3 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:44 PM
Mud in my Veins

Re: Chirping??

Frozen air pump? Is its pulley spinning?

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 01:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Really crazy, however everything is back to "NORMAL!" No more chirp.....nothing??????!

Serp. belt was fine, all other moving parts seemed fine and i didn't see any obvious vac leaks?

See what happens later today, again, Thanks for the fast response!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:13 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

This may pertain to your temporary problem. My belt on my '91 would churp when it was wet. This would be in the morning or when it rains. It would go away later in the day when it was dry. I had read that certain model years had an inherent problem with the water pump. It's misaligned. The only way to permantly solve it is to buy a new aftermarket pump. I just added a dab of grease at the end of a paint brush onto the belt while the engine was at idle so that the whole thing would get coated. This would temporarily solve the churping problem. Hope this helps

post #6 of (permalink) Old 12-21-2000, 11:20 PM
Mud in my Veins

Grease will attack the rubber of the belt, allow the belt to slip and not drive the pulleys that need power (for instance, causing the water pump NOT to pump for a while), and eventually, turn to varnish on the pulleys and belt causing MORE squealing. Buy some "belt dressing". It removes varnish and reduces squeal, while keeping the pulleys turning.

Steve
83 Custom w/95 4.9L EFI, 78 NP435, 83 NP208, 83 D44IFS 3.07, 87 Ford 8.8ABS 3.08, Michelin LTX AT 31x10.50R15
post #7 of (permalink) Old 12-22-2000, 01:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, been driving it around all day today and not a peep!? Thanks for all the great replys!

I thought that belt dressing stuff was for shine? Learn something new everyday!.......COOL

post #8 of (permalink) Old 12-23-2000, 01:32 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I did not know that.....thanks for the tip Steve83

post #9 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 05:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

---I NEVER use the "belt dressing" that the auto parts stores sell. The few times that I did use it (many years ago) it ended up drying and cracking the hell out of the belt (not to mention leaving a film on the pulleys). Use of any petroleum product (grease, oil, WD-40) will eventually eat away and disintegrate the rubber in the belt. I learned from a good friend (actually the Chief of fleet maintenance for the U.S. postal service's western division) that the best cure for a noisy belt is a plain-jane regular 'ol bar of soap (Ivory works best I've found;-). Simply take the bar and touch it to the sides of the belt while the engine is running, and listen for the magic. If you doubt me, go try it with the bar of soap from your shower, even if the belt doesn't seem like it is making noise right now--you'll be surprised at how much quieter it gets. In noisy cases you may have to re-apply after a couple of days, but once you do it usually lasts for quite a while. My friend from the U.S.P.S. told me that this is ALL they use for their entire fleet (tractors and all), and soap is a helluva lot cheaper and lasts a lot longer than the store bought "belt dressing" too.

MILDOT

NISSAN IFS SUCKS
post #10 of (permalink) Old 12-25-2000, 09:10 AM
Mud in my Veins

Other than attacking the rubber and varnishing the pulleys, the soap is doing what the grease and oil are: letting the belt slip, until it is washed away. If I didn't want to use belt dressing, I'd sand, sandblast, or wire brush the pulleys to get rid of the existing varnish. IT is the source of the problem.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode